Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Current Toys

Go down 
+17
brindle
wilko26
Super_Shaun
dapperdan
Gold-mk1
blakey
Knighty
sparkie1984
CADDYANDY
vwdeviant
Bazza
Fitzy
EditiononeG60
vr6brew
PINKY
adzG60
Calimori
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

Current Toys - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08 2008, 09:24

Yeah, but I can't sell it in it's present condition and I feel like I have given up on it.
I am going to fix it and then decide.... It is practical at the moment.
Shocked
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08 2008, 10:13

KW-1's then!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2009, 03:20

Right, some more work done on the Golf to fix the problem with turbo leak, an erratic idle and boost being uneven.

I knew that when I fixed the crank case another pipe that leads into the system broke, it is the one going from the PCV (which is a one way valve) to the inlet. This valve could be using the crank case gases as a way to generate a vacuum that is then used to control other things but I can't be sure yet.
Current Toys - Page 2 Pcvvacuum

It would also appear to act in another way under boost when the check valve is closed.
Current Toys - Page 2 Pcvboost
Interestingly my engine (AUM) doesn't exactly match any diagrams I have seen and bypasses a few things but it does look un-molested at the moment. That is going to change though as I have studied a few things and now think I can implement the following process.

Current Toys - Page 2 Vacuum

The top left diagram shows how the PCV reroute takes place but that is another story.

The damage in the pipe from the PCV was quite bad so I cut it back and made it fit for now, the part number is 06A 103 221 AF so I will be ordering that and seeing what I get.
Having refitted it the erratic idle was resolved.

Gricey noticed that my line from the 14, the fuel pressure regulator was looking a little tired, so this was replaced with silicon and another pipe that also looked tired which I still can't work out what it does but will photograph all this for others.

The pipe to the diverter valve was also not very healthy due to a poor jubilee clip. So that makes four pipe played with, two were obviously damaged and two were suspect.
Result
No erratic idle.
It holds boost through the rev range
It doesn't cut boost at odd points
The management light has gone out on the dash and it is no longer in limp home more, it did this without me resetting the system. I need to run diagnostics to find if I am still losing boost but we are a little closer to sorting things. I now plan to bypass a few things as per the diagram, I also am have a pressure test next week and then....
Cool
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2009, 15:01

good work cali !!!!!!

glad u got it sorted

--now make sure u get a 20vt thread up as there is alot of useful info floating around now
Back to top Go down
sparkie1984
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2009, 15:08

nice one mate!

didnt realise you were having problems, but glad your getting them sorted out, if i can help at all give me a shout mate Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nomadsvw.co.uk
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2009, 15:20

I have been chasing a limp home problem since I bought it a year ago. It has made me learn about how the engine works though so now we are getting somewhere I know a lot more. Wink
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2009, 03:25

One week on and we honestly think we have sorted the turbo leak. It is not just smoother but more powerful too so something I changed made a difference.

However, whilst fitting the replacement droplinks which are poly bushed, the retaining bolt on the wishbones has dropped off and now just spins. Being replaced today hopefully by the mechanic who fitted the poly bushes.
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2009, 18:18

Vhere are de blasted pic's?????????? Evil or Very Mad

Couldn't the guy do a fitting guide? Very poor show lol!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20 2009, 00:12

No pics yet because the last round of pipe work was a one man bodge, hopefully I will clean up the area on Saturday and sort something out.
As for the wishbones, a whole new set were fitted yesterday by Paul. He is a top bloke and sorted out a lot for me.
MOT today......

I had to use the Beetle on Saturday to collect SWMBO. Started first time, loads of heat and very good fun. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 27 2009, 04:00

OK, the fitting guide is here:
PCV Positive Crank Ventilation
In that you get words, pictures and a video too.

Engine now looks a lot cleaner:

Current Toys - Page 2 DSCN0932

Time for another clean up after I have done the secondary air system pipes as Fitzy tells me it has arrived. bounce
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2009, 12:14

Quite a few new engine pipes are on their way. I fitted the SAS pipe on Sunday and froze my fingers off so maybe leave the rest until a sunny day, or move my car to spain for a few months. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sparkie1984
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2009, 12:15

that engine is a fairly different set-up to ours isnt it!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2009, 14:29

Only on the outside, the inlet manifold and a few other bits to save space.
Back to top Go down
sparkie1984
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02 2009, 14:31

i just think its weird that seat chose to run a charge pipe over the engine???

strange budget vags lol!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2009, 08:28

Where did we get up to on this???
Recap, we have now a pretty much fully polly bushed front end including engine mounts. That took a fair amount of roll away but we left the small ones at the front of the wishbones in to keep some comfort.

The engine has not thrown a error light so that is all sorted and it was time to fit the uprated Turbo Intake Pipe (TIP). The old pipes came out within minutes. It gave me a chance to review the old hoses and upgrade these also to silicon.

I started to feed the new pipe in myself but quickly got to the same point as Sparkie, a second set of hands are really required. Papa Steve came over to help and wiggle the pipe from above whilst I pulled from below. It was a pain but eventually they mated up and then went on.
The problem is that there is a hard pipe from the cooling system that is in the way, they TIP is silicon so it does bend around this pipe but the angle we need is so tight that usually it just distorts in the wrong direction. Once it is on the turbo inlet, it stops fouling this hard pipe so it is worth perceiving.

Pictures will follow.

Following on from this we fitted the GAZ suspension a few days later. The old struts were making it hard to get them out but Steve has a way with a hammer and eventually they were free. The problem was that the cups that hold the bottom of the suspension were then a little tight and getting the new suspension in was a little hard on the first one we did.
We were running out of time but we pushed on and fitter the rear with no time to reset the hight. I was the only person I know who has fitted coilies and ended up with a higher car.

During the week an ABS light came on and deactivated the traction control too. On Sunday I identified that the wire to the driver side sensor was shredded by contact with the wheel.
I cut out the bad part, stripped the wires and soldiered them back together and then checked with VAG com if this solved the problem. It actually showed that now the ABS control unit was failing and resetting. VAG com could do nothing for me.
I checked my wiring and re-did it. Panicked that I should have maybe disconnected the battery first (would have been a good idea), and eventually left the car without the battery connected for 15 minutes but it still was failing.
Good time as any to adjust the suspension down at the front, I was too cautious and now have a 5mm drop from standard. Rolling Eyes

I then took the car for a test drive to see how the ABS failure would effect the car before I could get it to a garage to fix. As soon as it went over ~5 MPH it reset itself and all worked again. Suspect
So now we are all sorted but the car is still too high so some fettling is required.
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2009, 11:49

Dude, either fit a spare wheel to the outside of the tailgate or slam that mother.

remeber if its doesnt grind it isn't low enough!

Before you say it, I know I have just wasted 131 keyboard strikes that I'll never get back.
;-)

Move to road without speedbumps, what other reason do you need? ;-)

Stu
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2009, 15:37

Stu, can you come over and finish the decorating? Then I can sort the car and then sell the house to move somewhere without the Himalayas on the approach. Laughing
Back to top Go down
blakey
Nomad
Nomad
blakey

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2009, 16:02

i heard them lot from comic relief were gonna attempt them speedbumps but went for something bit lower in the end Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gold-mk1
Nomad
Nomad
Gold-mk1

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2009, 16:09

blakey wrote:
i heard them lot from comic relief were gonna attempt them speedbumps but went for something bit lower in the end Very Happy

Ha, they are astonishingly bad aren't they..... affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.retro-rides.com
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17 2009, 05:44

Knighty once joked there was a tribe of pygmies living in the valley on the dark side of the largest one.
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17 2009, 06:11

keep your pecker up dude you'll get there
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28 2009, 03:32

OK, the ABS issues appears to have been resolved, I keep checking the cables but it all works fine.
I fitted an a new N75 J valve which has changed the boost profile of the car. Big thanks to Fitzy for getting that sorted for me because it seemed a hard part to get. It was easy to fit and I will take pictures soon.

The car has been lowered by about 30mm on the coilies, the rears do not feel too happy, need to check they are not riding on the bump stops. The fronts are fantastic, though I might harden them up a little more. Twisted Evil

MOT for the Beetle today, I hate that exam even when I revise for it. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Super_Shaun
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28 2009, 04:18

Good luck on the beetle MOT.

Glad you got all the running issues sorted with the Golf, any pics of how she sits now.
I know what the speed bumps are like round your estate there god awful.
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28 2009, 04:37

the drop its subtle................but u can tell its been lowered

when G came to my work to pick up a part one of the salesmen noticed it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28 2009, 09:34

i demand pics G! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Current Toys   Current Toys - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Current Toys
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next