Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

gearbox question for dubdred

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
riosingh

gearbox question for dubdred Empty
PostSubject: gearbox question for dubdred   gearbox question for dubdred I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17 2008, 13:36

hi,
I've done my box again, and i think i need a permenent solution.
am I right in thinking you've got a quafe box?
how much did it cost to build ur box?
and where did you get it done?
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: gearbox question for dubdred   gearbox question for dubdred I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22 2008, 04:44

i have a standard 16v box 020 (8v's have different 5th and narowwer clutch spline),

fully rebuilt with stiffened diff pins, coz standard diffpins are not weak/soft that why they

blow the bolts sheer, its quite a common upgrade to replace those pins with hardened steel

replacements,you be good to about 220 +bhp

i got the work done at apsley transmission which is a firm in hemel/apsely

cost me around 700 quid

i took him my blown box( big lump missing out of the bell housing) and two other boxes and told him to make me one good one with stiffened diff pins

so he took appart 3 and made one
gearsets are expensive

GWAN RIO
have you get that eaton on yet??
Back to top Go down
riosingh

PostSubject: Re: gearbox question for dubdred   gearbox question for dubdred I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2008, 06:32

no mate no eaton yet.
I know its a bit slack, been quite busy with work and stuff, But I have now chucked in my weekend job. So I have had the last few weekend off, but I've spent them doing my garden and getting wrecked.
I need a stronger box first. I'm thinking of 02A, 2.0 16v mk3 box. I know someone runing a abf on nitro on one of these in a mk1, and it uses the same drive shafts and stuff.
I also know another guy with a rocco with an ottenger 16v head on a 9a block, runing it through a TT/cupra box. This box is mega money though, because it has to be converted from 4wd to 2wd then needs custom drive shafts. but its a 6 speed and can handle more power than i'll ever need..
my gti parked up now its not fun driving a car with a screwed box. suppose i need to get of my arse and do something about. but i'm planing on getting a lot of stuff done before next show season.
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: gearbox question for dubdred   gearbox question for dubdred I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2008, 07:32

maybe you should go for 020 rebuilt with LSD?

they are good for 250bhp +

with no dicking around
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gearbox question for dubdred   gearbox question for dubdred I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

gearbox question for dubdred
Page 1 of 1