Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Wheel idea

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EV
Nomad
Nomad
EV

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 13:22

Hey guys,

I'm thinking wheels at the moment.

How wide (staggered) can I go on my polo 6n, it has been lowered approximately 60mm.

I'm thinking 6,5J front 7,5J rear. Would that work without doing any arch work?

As usual your comment are appreciated.

Cheers.
EV.
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 15:08

Wheels are a funny old business as you need to consider stretch, poke, offset, the width of the wheel, camber and how much comfort you want to retain.

Your best bet would be to find out what your current ET is on your wheels as that will give you the starting point in terms of where next.

Once your done there, find out how big a wheel you can physically fit under your arches, you are legally allowed to have the rim poke a massive 3cm outside the wheel arch but the tread on the tyre must remain inside the arch.

Without doing any work to the arch, I reckon you could fit 8s on a polo with a bit of effort. 7.5 sounds good also. Have a look around to see what people have done on their polo's as I don't think many people have your shape on here
Back to top Go down
EV
Nomad
Nomad
EV

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 04:09

Morning Dashworth,

Thank you for you post.
Now, I've got two sets of wheels, winter and summer. My winters are 14" ET38 and are 5,5J from MK2 Golf Driver. These are running on 185/5/R14 Tyres. My summer wheels are 6N2 Polo GTI BBS RXII 15" Split rims with ET45 and are 6J. These are running on 195/45/R15 tyres

My new choice of wheel would be a classic Borbet A, max 16" but preferably 15". I understand that the lower the ET number the more of the wheel would stick out of the arch so something like ET30 or 20 would be ideal I guess. Would you know of a site that can do a specific calculation for a certain choice of a car?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 06:41

Wheels whores are usually pretty good mate, but there is no specific website I'm aware of for that I'm afraid mate.

Your best bet would be have a look at similar polo's with fancy wheels and guesstimate the result. Always best to guess short (wheel doesn't get the desired poke) because then you can get spacers to push them out to your desired width to give you a nice flush/poke look on your polo dude
Back to top Go down
chenn
Nomad
Nomad
chenn

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 09:13

Just look at build threads on club polo mate that way you can see pictures and details

Best way in my opinion
Back to top Go down
peter_bfc
Nomad
Nomad
peter_bfc

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 11:52

my banded bullet steels would fit really nice with just a little bit of work Wink 15x8 and 15x9
Back to top Go down
EV
Nomad
Nomad
EV

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 13:24

peter_bfc wrote:
my banded bullet steels would fit really nice with just a little bit of work Wink 15x8 and 15x9

Thanks Pete, but I want to leave my arches as they are. I've been looking at some measurement this morning and I may just go with 7,5J on the rear and something like 6.5J or 7J on the front. "Borbet A" are the ones I'm really itching for.

Hope you're ok after your "short" trip up the stairs pal?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wheel idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel idea   Wheel idea I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel idea
Page 1 of 1