Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Porting an exhaust manifold

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shills

Porting an exhaust manifold Empty
PostSubject: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23 2012, 11:26

Basically I am running  a hybrid turbo and I remember being told that I need to port the standard manifold as the aftermarket ones crack. Anyone done this themselves on a ko3 , I think it's just number 3 port and where they all meet. Or maybe know a link or someone in Herts area that can do it.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23 2012, 11:33

bit hard to understand where you want to port? But I'm not a turbo man!

The only way to port your exhaust is to obviously take it off, bolt your new gasket up to it and pencil line around the circle, and dremal your way up to the line, then polish it up.

Best results is todo both sides of what your gasket is sealing, normally your head! Best to have that off tho so you can clean it up after.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23 2012, 13:29

I would ask what else you are running currently and what you want to get from the turbo.
There are some very good after market exhaust manifolds that I have my eye on and I have not heard a problem with them.
But I haven't seen any evidence that I will need one until I get 23 PSI from my K03s which would be good for 250+ BHP.
Rather than go to the effort of porting the manifold, I would consider swaping it out and then be able to use a K04 from the BAM engine.

All depends on your plans.
Back to top Go down
shills

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08 2012, 02:16

At the moment I am running a hybrid ko3s and a couple of other bits , including a ina cast manifold, but I ve heard from a few places badger5, rtech ,scn that some cast manifolds can crack . There a thread on scn, I ve heard that badger5 ports the standard ones for about 90 quid( have the same gains) . Just seeing if I could do it myself as I still have the standard one. I ve got to do my head gasket (leaking oil slightly) and don't want to discover it's cracked and have no modified replacement.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18 2012, 03:40

I have gone and done a little more research and have found many posts agreeing that cheaper after market manifolds crack. The cost of the JBS one seems to be a lot of money considering we could swap other parts and reach the same BHP.
Sounds like porting a standard one could give some reasonably gains for the set up, especially if you are doing the head gasket anyway. I am now interested in doing the same so will keep an eye out and let you know.

I am about to fit what is meant to be a special K03 so will be checking the manifold and gasket when I am doing that. Same as you, if it is stripped down already, it would be a crime to not modify the set up.
Back to top Go down
shills

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26 2012, 01:30

Found out it might not be the head gasket leaking, when had it on the ramp looks like it leaking from the camshaft seal and also from the seal/washers on the top oil feed pipe to the turbo,(running down the back of the block. so manifold will have to come off.Knowing my luck I snap a stud and the head will have to come off anyway . Laughing
Also found a crack forming on the manifold. So I am think do I remove and swap over with standard(when done) or weld up the crack and hope more don't return.
Also on the look out for a standard manifold (with no cracks) as my spare has a hair line crack in it too. So was thinking if I port it could make it bigger.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26 2012, 02:52

Sounds like a lot of cracks and leaks, I expect I am going to find something similar when I get mine on a ramp. There is certainly fresh oil running down the back of the engine. Mad

If I find another stock manifold, I will let you know. The special K03 needs to be balanced now before it can all be fitted.
Back to top Go down
shills

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14 2012, 11:33

Ended up getting another exhaust manifold all ported , and found one oil leak but still getting 17705
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Porting an exhaust manifold   Porting an exhaust manifold I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Porting an exhaust manifold
Page 1 of 1