Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs

Go down 
+4
Kayleigh
CADDYANDY
Bazza
Liam_R
8 posters
AuthorMessage

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs Empty
PostSubject: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27 2008, 11:10

This may be another one of my pointless and forget Threads, but every time i look at this car its so perfect in everyway, and the bloke who owns it is a diamond geez.

when i saw his brief rebuild on the VR top end i thought id post it up! i find things like this interesting Embarassed

anyways heres his main write up:

Quote :

Ok, its nearly time for the show and with only 3 days to go the car isnt quite finished. This whats been going off on dc vw.

Thought id do an update. The golf hasnt been mechanically right for a while, oil consumption and blue smoke on the overrun. So the VR has been taken off the road and stripped to find the problem. The head was stripped down but everything was found to be perfect, the heads being rebuilt after a clean up with new stem seals and relapped valves. The bores were found to be very glazed, with a decent lip at the top and some scoring. Once the pistons were out it was obvious what has been going on all this time. No cracked rings, but from the colour of the pistons below the rings shows theres definitely been blow by passed the rings, which explains why its been breathing heavy. And they smell strongly of burnt oil. So oil has been going up and compression coming down. Theres no point in reboring it as the cost of new oversize pistions and full rebuild is much more expensive than buying a good bottom end. Stu has honed the bores out so there not like a mirror anymore and i should be getting new rings, rod bolts and shells tomorrow. Slam pnael is at reflex being repainted and a few bits at the chromers. Hopefully not too long before its running again. Apologies for the length of that.

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 28062008427-1

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 28062008424

There was 6 pistons in there, honest

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 28062008423

................................................................................
................................................................................

Good news today, the bores and pistons all came in spec when measured. For those who are interested, After honing, Maximum allowed bore wear is 82,05mm and the maximum measured on one of them was 82,04mm, with most of them around the 82,03mm. So just new rings needed which is a relief. Cant wait to get it purring along.

Got my Slam panel back from reflex, and a few other bits. Also Rings and ARP rod bolts turned up. Went to buy R32 sump and oil pump as the sump sits about an inch higher but pump is on back order and has been for a while, so i thought id have one last go at running a standard VR sump. R32 next if this doesnt work. The main bit that catches on mine is the lump before the sump plug so i did a bit of modding with a new sump and had it glowing orange and a big Hammer! Very Happy Then gave it a quick waft of paint. Plug wont catch with the polo sump plug. Not amazing but i reckon it might just do for a bit. I think winter time in the garage will bring the R32 sump.

Sump no.1
One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 11092007103

Standard sump
One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09072008429

Modded Sump (sump no.3)
One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09072008430

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09072008431

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09072008433

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09072008432

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09072008434

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs Golfrebuild001

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs Golfrebuild003

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs Golfrebuild002

A small update, Hopefully the car will be running sometime this week. Bottom end is all built back up, with new rings, shells, and bolts. Head has also been rebuilt ready to go on. Just waiting for a locating dowel from [size=50]Ford[/size] yes [size=50]Ford[/size], as Vw dont have the 75p part in but [size=50]Ford[/size] do from the 2.8 Galaxy. Also had my injectors ultrasonically cleaned, flowed tested, new filters and seals from Swadlincote diesel. Very good price at the fraction of the cost of new injectors, so i really recommend them. Next day service too. A few pics

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs IMG00018

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs IMG00020

Not far now, satin black injectors and fuel rail to keep it OEM ++++

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09082008451

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs 09082008454

have a few pics but havnt uploaded then yet. Engine is all timed up and cam cover on. Inlet and new JR filter tomorrow, slam panel and rad, magnecor leads and new isv. hopefully ready for the weekend. Still alot to do but stu seems confident

Well Stu has worked overnight on it i think, its all built up, new fuel lines, oil in, water in. But as usual we had to take a step back, new magnecor leads wouldnt reach the coil pack as the coil pack has always been upside down, hiding the loom. Sorted that but now "shortened loom" wont reach so its got to be extended. Might fire it up tomorrow!

ITS RUNNING! and it sounds so sweet ( will upload some pics tomoroow, looks like it might make the show, still got to build the front end back up and do some interior bits)

and heres the link to the thread:

Haydn MK2 VR

sorry to bore again lol

Dubsy
Back to top Go down
Liam_R
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27 2008, 14:43

not boring at all man, respect you for choosing that mk2 over all others, each to there own in this game, and you havent gone wrong... the work that goes into these cars is mental.........
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27 2008, 16:51

Top work dude, couldn't see the cufflink's though, did he miss them out scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
CADDYANDY
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
CADDYANDY

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 00:41

that engine looks mint mate good job
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.HERTSDUBS.COM
Kayleigh
Nomad
Nomad
Kayleigh

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 01:02

shame he didnt go with a wooden crank, would have made it run much smoother....
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 03:43

Kayleigh mechanic genius lol!
Back to top Go down
Kayleigh
Nomad
Nomad
Kayleigh

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 11:35

hahaha i am learning!! i think i may have spoke to luke too many times....
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 15:06

luke has warped everyones mind!
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 16:21

Fitzy wrote:
luke has warped everyones mind!

Your mind was always warped lol!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2008, 17:00

You really have to love the work these people do and what they achieve, many of us just try to follow in their footsteps and do not even tough what they did. cheers
Back to top Go down
adzG60
Admin
Admin
adzG60

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2008, 02:14

dam cufflinks, always getting over looked
Back to top Go down
http://nomadsvw.co.uk
Lupomike
Nomad
Nomad
Lupomike

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31 2008, 13:23

Saw this at E38, and it was amazing! Probably my favourite MK2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs   One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One of My Favourite Mark 2 Golfs
Page 1 of 1