Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dodgy temp gauage??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

Dodgy temp gauage?? Empty
PostSubject: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12 2008, 13:00

Just got me golf and evrything kl except temp guage somtimes works sometimes dont??
When it works it rolls up to halfway on tickover,however fan does not kick in is this normal?
Then if it working it will randomly just drop and not work again.lol
So wot could be the cause and were shud the guage sit normaly??
Cheers ppl
Dave
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12 2008, 13:36

go for a new temp sensor 1st bud................thats the first step
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12 2008, 14:18

Kl which one is temp sensor ,brass sensor on rad or one of the other 2 that are on the pump(i think).Its a 1300cc mk2 by the way
Cheers
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15 2008, 02:33

Temp sender's normally in the head or one of the feed pipes to it (look for a blue sender).

Gauge should sit in the mid-range of the gauge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15 2008, 11:59

Gauage sits just over half way when it works but it pretty much gos up straight away within a min of turning engine on.But then it can randomly drop so mite just be buggered temp sensor.When shud the fan kick in??
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24 2008, 11:41

Where is the rad thermostat located on my 1300cc golf??
The top rad hose seems to be getting very hot however the bottom hose barley gets warm is this just cooling correctly or shud bottom hose be hotish?
If i compress bottom hose all other hoses expand and expansion tank level moves so guess there no blockages.
Mite be no problem but I still getting used to the car so evrything makes me paranoid about it lol
Cheers
Dave
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24 2008, 16:48

I had a similar problem with the top hose being hot and the lower hose cold... i found this to be a stuck(shut) thermostat... the coolant should be the same temp throughout the whole cooling system then you know the system is free from blockages... the gauge problem sounds like a case of dodgy sensor/wiring... hope this helps mate!
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25 2008, 02:06

Hi m8 do you know where the thermostat is on my 1300cc golf??
cheers
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25 2008, 16:00

Dave_H wrote:
Hi m8 do you know where the thermostat is on my 1300cc golf??
cheers
If i saw your engine i can point it out to you... its a unit thats bolted on to the block and has 2/3 big coolant hoses going into it...
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26 2008, 10:20

Cheers for you help m8.Is the part u mean located on the rad side of the engine and the bottom hose comes of rad and then straight on to plastic body which is then joined to a unit which has a few hoses on it?Is thermostat in first plastic bit thats joined to bottom hose??
Cheers
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26 2008, 16:48

Dave_H wrote:
Cheers for you help m8.Is the part u mean located on the rad side of the engine and the bottom hose comes of rad and then straight on to plastic body which is then joined to a unit which has a few hoses on it?Is thermostat in first plastic bit thats joined to bottom hose??
Cheers
Thats the one mate you,ll find the thermo inside the plastic cover... your new thermo should have a gaskett with it... normally a rubber ring... take note which way round the old thermo is located before removing and replacing... dont put it in upside down like i did years ago!! silent .... good luck!
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27 2008, 01:34

Kl cheers for your help
Dave
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 30 2008, 05:35

Changed thermostat still cold bottom hose?What else could it be??
Cheers
Dave
Back to top Go down
lordy GTI

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2008, 13:49

youve got an air lock or a dodgey stat this can happen! take the cap of of your coolant bottle and let it run untill the fan kicks in? keep an eye on your oil temperature if you can on a 1300cc if the fan dosent kick in and your engine over heats your temp sensors FUBAR!
Back to top Go down
http://arlcoachworks.co.uk
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20 2008, 10:44

Only just got round to buying temp sensor lol no overheting tho so hasnt bothered me.
Which one is the temp sensor for the gauge on a mk2 1.3 the left or right one on the block.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dodgy temp gauage??   Dodgy temp gauage?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dodgy temp gauage??
Page 1 of 1