Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech

Go down 
+6
john @ Bennetts car parts
PINKY
Fitzy
dapperdan
G4Z
Calimori
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech Empty
PostSubject: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2008, 14:51

easy everyone. the top ends starting to be really noisy now. really tappy, wanted to get a full top end rebuild anyways. think i pushed it a little too much! ow well, going to happen sooner or later.

but more to the point, does anyone use a garage around here that are really good and trustworthy with your dubs?

i remember papa steve singing some blokes praises. any info?

would be also good if anyone knows a place which specailises with dubs that are local?

please help

cheers

Dubsy

Last edited by Dubsy on Sun Jun 15 2008, 10:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2008, 15:46

Steves was re-built by a Volkswagen Dealership, someone who Fizty recommended and assisted.
The other place is Apsley Transmissions behind Apsley Motorspares who also do engine work and are highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2008, 16:13

wat actually needs doing mate for the rebuild? is it a case of new gaskets?
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2008, 09:01

i have a man who is good he is in hazelmere lets talk thursday

have you changed oil ? that can really shut up tappets allot

is it defo tappets not pinking? coz it only happens over 4k ? innit?

or like we said a possible oil pump issue , get this problem posted on CLUBGTI

you may be better off sourcing a reconditioned head and popin that straight on

less time out of action?

coz heads off you should do head gasket, cam belt and anything else thats pissing oil
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2008, 12:41

talk to me on thursday mate, i'll put u in touch with the guy re-building toms (oaky-gti)

he's got a 16v which needs a head gasket doin
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2008, 15:36

What about using some Slick50?? might help can get it from Halfrauds.
Back to top Go down
http://stephanie.routledge@hotmail.co.uk
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2008, 16:10

those heads are very good ,ihave yet to see any knackered ones in all my years (to many) its more than likely to be the tappets they are quite cheap to buy and easy to replace , they can sometimes be down to cheap oil filters that dont have PRD in them (pressure relief device) you need oil pressure for the tappets to work ,av aword with side shows man i am sure adeal can be cut ,,,,,, if not Fairfield Motors (back of my shop) 01442 240968 can sort it out ,,,,, OR DIY
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 07 2008, 16:46

Good shout John! Luke... i also recommend Gareth who is a friend of Dubdread... if you want to drive in and collect with everything done then he,s your best bet mate, i know him too and im sure he will be cheaper than most... would,nt hurt to ring him and maybe drive up to hazelmere and get a quote! Wink
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2008, 02:45

can go with you wen your ready
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2008, 12:41

F.M.dubdread wrote:
can go with you wen your ready

cheers everyone for there input. just sorting bits out.

but also a big thanks to dan too, really appreciate the chat earlier on and that.

will let you know mate Wink

thanks!

Dubsy
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2008, 15:10

Good luck getting it sorted mate, help that phat ride along
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15 2008, 10:51

got VAG tech finally ring me back!

quoted me £1011 all in for having the following done:

Remove/and replace head gasket, replace all tappets, all 16 valves (grind them in etc etc) replace cam belt (kit) and replace the backing cam chain. change valve stem oil seals, pressure test head and get it skimmed, and clean everthing up.

he said 8 hours labour which works out at 400 dub tokins + VAT.

which including VAT works out at 470 Ish dub tokins. but to me all the parts cant add up to 530 dub tokins to me?

or can it?

anyone express some views?

i idealy want to take it down to Apsley transmissions as i heard from my mate dave gurney and quite a few of you that ian down there is good!

opinions would be greatly appreciated Wink

thanks again everyone
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16 2008, 02:13

pale for a head!

You could by a recon engine for that!

Get a Second opinion young man!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16 2008, 09:56

8 hours work is 8 hours work 50 an hour he's charging . is the other 500 parts ?

you could put a low milage ABF in for less !???????

go and see matey at apsley trans <is your next step

and find out from fitzy what he can get the head parts for ?? bet its less
Back to top Go down
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16 2008, 15:37

i echo what others have said , dude thats to expensive , i do all the parts you need , they are all German at a fraction of the cost , just get Ian to do the valve guides and do the rest yourself ,its so much easier than you think ,,, go on av a go ,,,you know you want to really
Back to top Go down
smiffy-g60
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17 2008, 11:17

Just reading this on ed38, worth a Pm any who !!

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159847
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17 2008, 13:16

its been puzzling my mind why thats so expensive! anyways, going down to see ian at apsley transmissions 2moz! not paying 1011 dub tokins for that tbh!

will let everyone know whats the crack 2moz!

cheers again everyone!
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18 2008, 02:52

you gonna see mine down there Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech   Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top end rebuild - Finally got a fone call back from VAG tech
Page 1 of 1