Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone Interested in a Workshop?

Go down 
+4
andy121
vwdeviant
Fitzy
Calimori
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

Anyone Interested in a Workshop? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 02:51

A few people have mentioned that they might in interested in a proper workshop were we can store and work on project cars. I have been looking for myself and family for something suitable and keep coming up against a few similar problems.
Cost, size, location and access.
Ideally we would need somewhere close to Hemel, big enough to store one project car that can be worked on, free to work at any time of the day or night, we can get the cars in and out without outside interference and does not cost a large amount of money.

What we have found is that with a large increase in space rented the cost is not massively higher so the more people we have involved the cheaper it might be to a point. So is anyone is interested in paying £100 a month to have a covered place with electricity and lighting where they can work on and store their cars?
We have three people currently, we could do with two or three more.
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 05:00

i would love to but that means we both cant eat for the month!!! (which I would quite happily give up food for a workshop!!!). IF i get a pay rise anytime soon i would be interested. Dont seem to have much money after mortgage, bills, fuel etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 07:10

im game!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 07:17

Sorry to hear that Fitzy, good to hear that James. Chat about it on Sunday.
It could be that we have a group willing to pay more to hold a good place before others join in. My Bro-in-crime's-brother is very eager as he has a classic Beetle in two parts and really needs a place. I am eager to get a four post lift for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 07:21

4 post lift s a must!! lol

i looked at getting another garage. thats then 80 quid a month im spending and would rather put it into a workshop!!!

than the coucil. and we all no where that money goes..
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 07:26

Jeeps 5-600/month's cheap but for how big?

Been looking at similar idea our way for our projects (one mate has 3-4 cars he needs to store) and for a 1/2 decent sized shop that means we can get 4ish cars in (5 if we can get a 2 poster) we'd be looking at £12,000/yr plus "expenses" because they're classified as business premises...
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
andy121
Nomad
Nomad
andy121

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 07:36

i know some one who has a workshop, £5k a year... its got toilet and kitchen, we had 7 cars in it on monday plus the car we were working on, its got a 4 post ramp and a spray booth (very handy). now thats a deal lol
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 09:22

We have looked into the rates and it we will not have it listed as business premises if we can.
One we are looking at is good for 8 cars by the looks of it hence why I want to move quickly, it is however at Colney Heath near St Albans. Great access via the A414 but might be too far for some.
Electrics are all in at the moment with only an addition cost for maintainance.
Back to top Go down
spooner
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 11:24

i might be intrested
Back to top Go down
GTi-Jay
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
GTi-Jay

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11 2008, 11:39

cali i would be up for this. depends how many people chip in tho.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12 2008, 04:52

I am very interested...see you sunday dude! Wink
Back to top Go down
Josh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2008, 13:37

Although I'm not in need of a place to store a car, I'd quite hapily pay towards the cost of thing thing if I was able to use it for a few days if doing major work etc etc.

I actually live just round the corner from London Colney anyway! Where is this place that you speak of?
Although you say it might be too far, remember that its SO quick to get round the m25 from Hemel as long as there isn't major traffic!
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2008, 14:58

Any news on this cali dude?? like to look into this soon as poss! Wink Question Wink
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2008, 05:03

We have had trouble getting in contact with the Estate Agent. I am confident we a group of people willing to pay for the monthly hire, once we are happy with a space I plan us to split the space into 'lots' that each person sort of rents. That way I can then pay extra for space that can then be rented for cash for simple work or for those who can't commit to a full year but will want space occasionally.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19 2008, 14:25

Ok mate, lets hope it works out and we can get a look! keep up the good work dude!
Back to top Go down
Josh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 16:02

Calimori, that sounds like a very very sensible idea!

You could even run some kinda of booking system off the back of the forum if you were really clever Wink

I wish I had the need for this and the funds just to help get it off the ground!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22 2008, 13:58

Update, they have gone quiet on us but we are still looking. We keep finding ideal space with limits on when you can work in them, that is not ideal.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22 2008, 15:58

Something will turn up!... we just keep lookin mate! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24 2008, 12:30

Saw a sign for a Unit available at boxted farm, which is on the right as you come out of hemel via warners end towards potten end. Could be a possible location?
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24 2008, 16:18

Adam, get me some more details.

OK, the good one might be back on, waiting back for a time to see it. Will let you know.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25 2008, 13:51

AdamVR wrote:
Saw a sign for a Unit available at boxted farm, which is on the right as you come out of hemel via warners end towards potten end. Could be a possible location?
I drive past this place twice a day! they are indeed advertising workshop for rent...think i,ll pop in and enquire! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 26 2008, 01:17

Seeing one this morning at Colney Heath, we are going to be straight up and honest about what we intend to use it for and then take it from there.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2008, 07:58

OK, the one in Colney Heath was very good. We have arranged and practically agreed a cost with them. Excluding legal fees Mad, it works out at about £98 per car space.
We have viewed the area as six distinct car spaces, this would allow all six to move in and out without effecting anyone else. My mate and I will be taking four spaces so effectively take a chunk of space so we can use it as we want, there are therefore two spaces with one technically reserved until that person gets back to me. Smile

Sadly it would not be practical to run this place as a club house as that would just bring attention to what we are doing and could cause us problems. The space is big enough for more than six cars but by breaking the space down we ensure we have access to our cars and no problems.
Electricity works out at the moment at about £50 a quarter but depending on the work might be more.

There should be no problems with low cars gaining access, there is adequate parking outside for daily drivers, the site is hidden from the road and there are workshops there that are used during the week. There will have to be an enforced curfew for noise but no limit to access.

This could well start next week and last for a minimum of six months, any takers?
Back to top Go down
Josh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2008, 11:24

Well done in sorting that out guys, as I said, I'm pretty local, so if you need a hand getting the space into order, tidying up or keeping an eye on anything from time to time, just give me a shout!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2008, 12:12

There is still at least one space if people are interested. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a Workshop?   Anyone Interested in a Workshop? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Interested in a Workshop?
Page 1 of 1