Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

beetle gearbox / nose cone

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
peter_bfc
Nomad
Nomad
peter_bfc

beetle gearbox / nose cone Empty
PostSubject: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31 2010, 07:30

i know its a long shot but has anyone got a pre 72 beetle 1200 or 1300 gearbox or just the nose cone to fit a '70 chassis

thanks
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31 2010, 08:20

GEOFF... STU!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31 2010, 10:48

Not in my pile of stuff and I don't know about Knighty or if he will see this, let me try to contact him.
Did they actually change the gearbox in '72 or are you just stating that it needs to be the older style not the IRS version?
Back to top Go down
slamdunkdub

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31 2010, 13:36

I havent, but I'll ask the bro, his hoard of beetle bits is a thing of beauty.
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01 2010, 00:35

Calimori wrote:
Did they actually change the gearbox in '72 or are you just stating that it needs to be the older style not the IRS version?

i have no idea wot that means but it sounds great!!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01 2010, 06:03

Independent Rear Suspension. I believe it was fitted from 69 on, first in the 1500 auto. Means you could put a large bus engine into a IRS beetle but that is not what we are looking for.
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01 2010, 06:13

Geoff stop it!!!.................ur making me blush!! beetle gearbox / nose cone 161462 beetle gearbox / nose cone 161462
Back to top Go down
peter_bfc
Nomad
Nomad
peter_bfc

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01 2010, 07:13

Quote :
Did they actually change the gearbox in '72 or are you just stating that it needs to be the older style not the IRS version

yeah they changed the front mound is 73 Sad
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01 2010, 07:23

Interesting, I never noticed or needed to check. Mine is a 75 flat screen
Still waiting for someone to get back to us, all his stuff is 67's but have you tried megabugs if you are willing to pay?
Back to top Go down
slamdunkdub

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01 2010, 15:59

The bro hasn't got one spare I'm afraid. Megabug is a good call.

IRS was on 69- 1500 semi auto's only, if I remember correctly, then I think was standard on 1302 an 1303 models from about 72.
Basically the 1302 and 1303 had McPherson strut front suspension, and hence a slightly rounder front end. The plus side is when you lower the rear you don't get camber. They are popular with the bus boys for straight axle kits.

The 1303s had a 1600 engine and a taller 4th gear for good cruising. I once sold an IRS 1303s box for more than I paid for the car.
IRS for handling hence the german lookers genrelly being 1302 and 1303's.

All non auto, beam equipped, flat screens had swing axle rear suspension, hence the camber on my 73 and the bro's 68.

Trust me, you don't want to sit next to me at a dinner party!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: beetle gearbox / nose cone   beetle gearbox / nose cone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

beetle gearbox / nose cone
Page 1 of 1