Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

bigger turbo...

Go down 
+2
Mehmet
Dashworth
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23 2010, 13:18

will be needing a bigger turbo to run with the repmap/intake/decat/clutch.

ive sourced a couple of parts from companies online and garages near me but i think i need one of these...

GTB2260VK. can anyone get me one for a decent price or recommend something similar/bigger? Razz

just in case... its the 1.9SE TDI

thanks people
Back to top Go down
Mehmet

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24 2010, 05:09

Problem with the diesel id recomend asking on tdisport.com, They know what they are doing and willl recommend the perfect kit for you mate!
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24 2010, 09:44

Pikey Calorgas - NOS conversion FTW! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28 2010, 01:46

You might be nearing the point I heading for, where I think I want more power, has the other stuff been done yet and you still feel it is not enough?
It will still be two wheel drive, make it deliver the power it has and be able to handle that and then see if you have a usable ride. Have you changed the diff?

We should meet up for some chatting and fun, I hope to make the next meet if work permits.
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28 2010, 02:52

that would be really good cali.. i havent had anything done to the car but because of my issue with insurance. The upside of this is that im saving well over £££ a month.

Im currently speaking to allardturbosport.co.uk about a 'hybrid' turbo - they have given me a turn around time for about 10 days and explained I could get about 230bhp from it. There are other ways I could go instead of a hybrid such as a new, bigger turbo, but obviously thats more cash I would rather not spend.I have also had several quotes for a larger intercooler with a silicone pipe kit to fit it... with my rather ass knowledge of how cars work im going with the basics of deiesel:
(more fuel injected + more air + big turbo = fun)
my issue at the moment is that when upgrading the turbo to a larger kit or a hybrid what other components will need upgrading?
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28 2010, 15:04

Well the the coillies, so should handle abit better, the standerd set up of the rest should be albe to handle the extra power, any more than that wouls start causing issues tho.
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01 2010, 01:28

At 230hp and the weight of a Mk5... I'd be thinking about bigger brakes first! As well as decent tyres that can handle the Torques" you be putting through them... then drivetrain... gearbox is "probably" ok but what about CV joints and driveshafts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17 2010, 07:36

Dashworth wrote:
that would be really good cali.. i havent had anything done to the car but because of my issue with insurance. The upside of this is that im saving well over £££ a month.

Im currently speaking to allardturbosport.co.uk about a 'hybrid' turbo - they have given me a turn around time for about 10 days and explained I could get about 230bhp from it. There are other ways I could go instead of a hybrid such as a new, bigger turbo, but obviously thats more cash I would rather not spend.I have also had several quotes for a larger intercooler with a silicone pipe kit to fit it... with my rather ass knowledge of how cars work im going with the basics of deiesel:
(more fuel injected + more air + big turbo = fun)
my issue at the moment is that when upgrading the turbo to a larger kit or a hybrid what other components will need upgrading?

Your logic is sound but there is always a but.

Regular turbo diesels are designed with decent mid-range ooomph in mind - thus why the turbo is normally the first thing to hold things back. Small turbo is easy to spin up and will boost up nice and early but then run out of blow as the revs rise. This is why tdis are very quick mid range and then feel like they aren't gaining anything when rev'd...

So, as you say you want more power so you need more fuel and a large flow turbo. A larger turbo will take more energy to get to boost up therefore more lag but will provide the stronger top end you seek. Also, your car almost certainly has a variable vein turbo in it is order to get around the majority of the lag issues... getting a larger but traditional static turbo will lose you that also. Worst case scenario in your bid for 250hp+ is that you go from a car that boosts strongly from 1500rpm to one that needs 2000rpm+ or maybe even 2500rpm+ to make good boost. Without a doubt you'd make good PEAK power but you'll have lost a lot of the general drivability of the car.

Another consideration is your injectors - they have a fixed capacity also. Larger injectors are more expensive and less accurate so factory built cars come with injectors matched fairly closely to the cars requirements. Most cars injectors will top out at 25% more power than stock. FYI, modern VW TDIs such as yours use enormous pressure injectors that are very very expensive... off the top of my head you can expect to pay £300 EACH for a new set of slightly larger ones.

It sounds like you are reaching the limits of the stock components... you need to be very careful where you go from now on.
There is no such thing as a performance increase with no tradeoffs in other areas.

EDIT: I just looked up your car and you have one of the rubbish old diesel engines so you have a normal static turbo and your injectors aren't insanely expensive. The above is still valid though.
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17 2010, 13:30

rubbish old diesel engine? ..... that hurts Sad
Back to top Go down
Mehmet

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19 2010, 06:38

Ive got the AFN 1.9 tdi 97 a4.

ive change the nozzles on the injectors to .216's instead of the .205's and a straight through system no cat no box's, and a panel filter, feels 100x much better and its cost me what roughly around £300 in total, ive gain a good bit of torque and bhp, playing with gti's all day long Very Happy.

Cant wait to get my turbo, int.cooler, clutch, and map.....COME ONNN!!!
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19 2010, 16:35

can you please pm me your number dude, would like to speak to you about it! im interested in doing something similar and if your in the know etc etc....
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22 2010, 09:15

Dashworth wrote:
rubbish old diesel engine? ..... that hurts Sad

Sorry, no offense intended! I've got a rubbish '93 engine in mine Very Happy

PD diesels are vastly more tunable than the "classic" diesels... I just saw your sig pic of a mk5 and instantly assumed shiney new PD... I wasn't aware they still put the old diesels in such a new car. I guess it's for exactly what I was talking about... avoiding another £1500-2000 worth of parts to keep the costs down on the lower models.

At least you can tune yours more cheaply!

Big turbo, big intercooler, bigger injectors - the skies the limit! Just be aware of the tradeoffs Smile The trouble with starting with a lesser engine is that you risk very quickly spending more on your car to get 200hp than selling up and buying a GTD, which is better in more areas than just the engine, would cost.
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22 2010, 09:20

only messing about buddy Smile

....i thought my car had PD injectors...
it is a 56plate 1.9 tdi se model.... what injectors do i have?

if i dont have PD and i have the earlier model injectors that means i can upgrade them from the standard 205's ...horray! more tuning fun Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bigger turbo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: bigger turbo...   bigger turbo... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bigger turbo...
Page 1 of 1