Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

VR6 Turbo.

Go down 
+6
Calimori
Fitzy
vr6brew
PremiumVeeDub
vwdeviant
mk2vr6
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mk2vr6
mk2vr6

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2009, 12:13

iv got money to spend just cant seem to find anywhere that will turbo my VR, anyone know of anywhere?????
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2009, 14:18

How much do you have and how much do you want from it?

Been quoted 4k for a good reliable 300hp 16v engine...

Not just a case of bolt on a snail and off you go, you have to take into account pstons/gaskets/possible engine rebuild etc..
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2009, 15:09

The Z-Engineering supercharger is a DIY fit*, so you could go that route. It's about a 40% power boost. If you can still find the kit it comes with everything you need, other than perhaps a few new vacuum hoses. Depends how happy you are with the internals on your lump as is.

* 4 Spanner rating.

Edit: Start here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=113 - Forced Induction thread, plenty of turbo'd Vrrrr there. Largely US or Scandinavian, but sound advice and interesting ideas.
Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05 2009, 17:57

Steve on here has been looking at them (VR6BREW) Think he has a pretty good idea about them and knows a good bit about the VR lump
Back to top Go down
mk2vr6
mk2vr6

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06 2009, 11:17

my lump is good had full rebuild bout 3months ago... but yes i do know its not bolt on and go got to change pistons, gaskets, injector rail etc, but hey ho whats got to be changed has to be changed....

dont fancy charging as mate has done his so im feelin going different with mine.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06 2009, 15:28

Strictly dubs on E38 do a drive in drive out for 4K.... that dont include bottom end work but all depends on what you want.
Back to top Go down
mk2vr6
mk2vr6

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07 2009, 14:06

vr6brew wrote:
Strictly dubs on E38 do a drive in drive out for 4K.... that dont include bottom end work but all depends on what you want.

cheers mate, i spoke to them earlier on phone and got all info needed to make my mind up. As my engine has had rebuild inc bottom end they r sayin it will be ok to run at least 400bhp with out worrying, long as keep the boost to around 18-20psi.

all i need know is a date they can take it in and start work on makin it a mk2 VRT. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07 2009, 14:23

Good goin mate.. ive been looking into charging for a while and was,nt sure what to do but have defo made up my mind after mths of research.... Turbo for me!.... keep us updated fella be good to follow this...
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07 2009, 16:25

go 4 it mate.........................wot a great mod
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 00:33

400BHP is crazy power. A ex-collegue has a Super V8 Daimler that produces that sort of power on a supercharged 4.2l V8. It is rapid but has to push that huge body about.
How will your front wheels handle pulling that sort of power?
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 04:17

That's why I don't get why everyone goes for the T instead of the Superchager, mine's lairy enough but if all the power came in suddenly turbo-style I'd just have no tyres and very poor acceleration?

Got a dyno run booked in for mine next week, I was waiting to sort out the MAF, fueling etc but I neeeeeeeeeeeed to know what I'm running - will be very disappointed if it's under 300, and it should be around the 330 mark.

Does anybody have a 3.5" MAF spare by the way? I think the 2.9 is the only engine that runs one that big.

Is your VR OBD1 or 2? Dizzy or coilpack?
Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 09:51

PremiumVeeDub wrote:
Got a dyno run booked in for mine next week, I was waiting to sort out the MAF, fueling etc but I neeeeeeeeeeeed to know what I'm running - will be very disappointed if it's under 300, and it should be around the 330 mark.

Does anybody have a 3.5" MAF spare by the way? I think the 2.9 is the only engine that runs one that big.

Sure if you put this in the wanted section someone may have one Wink

Back on topic........

I reckon with good set of tires and suspension set up you should be ok with that sort of power....

I personally think with a turbo it would be nicer driving round town than a charger because you can use the lag to an advantage so it doesnt take off in traffic...but then you got the top end/boost when you need it. Also how many supercharged VR's are there out there apposed to turbo'd VR's? Nice to do something a bit different

Go for it dude ! (Please take me out in it when its done Wink)
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 10:16

I'm terrible for thread hijacking, I know.

Ditto on the ride when it gets done Very Happy

Driveability tends to be affected by the combination of cam, distressed MAF (turbulent airflow, especially OBD1), overfueling at the bottom end to ensure enough at the top (but I am running a fairly crude mapping that needs redoing) and solid engine mounts anyway, I hate traffic in mine.

Are you bringing the VR tonight? What about the R32 beastie? I'll section off part of the car park for us transplant boys Very Happy
Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 10:21

Ill be there for sure! Smile
Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 10:38

R32 will be there, now its been in to Goodchild's Yard and works for everyday usage!! haha!!

VR it up tonight then lads!!
Back to top Go down
mk2vr6
mk2vr6

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2009, 11:17

PremiumVeeDub wrote:
That's why I don't get why everyone goes for the T instead of the Superchager, mine's lairy enough but if all the power came in suddenly turbo-style I'd just have no tyres and very poor acceleration?

mate wat charger u running wit cos a mate has charged his vr with a vortech vf-9 (think thats wat it is lol)
reason im goin turbo is the fact he got his charged plus be alot more fun watchint he faces of these ppl in their flash cars thinkin they all that, watchin me in my lil mk2 golf wavin byebye.

well ppl need to ring them eitehr 2morro or monday and see what their time scale is on earlist book in.
Back to top Go down
john @ Bennetts car parts
Nomad
Nomad

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2009, 15:51

i think the magic bhp for a front wheel drive car is about 280 any more than that you cant put the power on the road ,,,,,, but dam that 400 would be mental av a word with voodoo he is doing some intersting things at the mo
Back to top Go down
mk2vr6
mk2vr6

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2009, 17:19

john @ Bennetts car parts wrote:
i think the magic bhp for a front wheel drive car is about 280 any more than that you cant put the power on the road ,,,,,, but dam that 400 would be mental av a word with voodoo he is doing some intersting things at the mo

i know elie down at voodoo mate he does good stuff down there, very good stuff so ppl i would defo recommend him 4 all VAG work...
Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10 2009, 03:54

you know ellie ha moved?
Back to top Go down
mk2vr6
mk2vr6

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10 2009, 05:10

Wildchild wrote:
you know ellie ha moved?

yes mate hes now up in flaunden.
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2009, 09:36

There are quite a few more people with supercharged vrs out there than turbos but the turbos are fighting back.

Traditionally turboing was vastly more expensive but had more potential. Now with good chargers about and cheaper turboing kit the gap has closed somewhat.

For the noise, the thump in the back and the mid-range ooooomph it's turbo for me. If it were front drive only I'd have much more trouble picking between... Nothing worse than seeing a 400hp car completely fail to go anywhere because they can't get any power down.

Too the chap getting a turbo conversion - pick your turbo wisely. All the new ball bearing turbos etc... spool very quickly but if you have very little grip that's not nessessarily a good thing. If 400hp is the target then you will need a limited slip diff otherwise you'll be spinning one wheel in every gear. £4000 sounds a little too cheap to me for a full conversion so find out what you won't be getting! (e.g. diff, clutch, BRAKES, oil cooler, boost control, AFR and EGT monitoring etc...)

Foot down... turbo spooling... spooling... spooling... WHAM 400ftlb of torque and ungodly wheelspin. Lift off, boost gone.... repeat!
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2009, 09:52

Elie at Voodoo - website or phone number?

I needs me VRRRR servicing/inspecting and me charger greasing Very Happy

Mine's somewhere north of 300 and she'll quite happily spin the wheels at the top of 3rd in the damp (that's about 110mph). I agree 280ish is probably best number but then it's always best to have a few spare, and if you can control your right foot it's fiiiine Smile
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2009, 09:58

Mine spun up in second the other day when it was all slippery out! Luckily I was wearing brown trousers Wink
Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2009, 09:59

01442 831 807

info@themotorwerkes.co.uk
Back to top Go down
sparkie1984
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2009, 10:44

PremiumVeeDub wrote:
Elie at Voodoo - website or phone number?

I needs me VRRRR servicing/inspecting and me charger greasing Very Happy

Mine's somewhere north of 300 and she'll quite happily spin the wheels at the top of 3rd in the damp (that's about 110mph). I agree 280ish is probably best number but then it's always best to have a few spare, and if you can control your right foot it's fiiiine Smile

sorry to hijack but i bet that flies!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nomadsvw.co.uk
Sponsored content

VR6 Turbo. Empty
PostSubject: Re: VR6 Turbo.   VR6 Turbo. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VR6 Turbo.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next