Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? Empty
PostSubject: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 01:22

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180427728778&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Shocked
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 04:08

Wowzers thats crazy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://stephanie.routledge@hotmail.co.uk
EditiononeG60
Nomad
Nomad
EditiononeG60

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 07:52

does it look like silver overspray on the tires ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 09:10

yeah it does actually..whats that about then?
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 10:16

what a load of b******s

Clearly got dirty old driveshafts and like edition said over spray on the tyres!!!

DODGY
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 11:13

something I found...

GUYS AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAUGE

Isaw this when it first went on ebay and like most i was sceptical aboutits history, but as an unregistered shell and the misleading info inthe add i presume there was a good possibility of being genuine.

I did some digging about and managed to fill in some of the blanks judge for yourself. Its a long one Laughing

First off it is a 1983 Campaign GTI, in silver, registered 12/8/83

Guy who owns it is Bill Walton but ive also heard the name Mr Ross.

Imanaged to get the chassis number :wink: and calledVW and as the ebay listing said they have no history off this vehiclebeing registered to a UK Dealer there could be a number of reasons forthat a few of which i was offered were it may have been purchaseddirect from VW by a collector, investor or non VW retailer. When a VWwas sent to a dealer back in 1983 once it was sold the selling dealeris attached to the vehicle on what records VW UK kept back in the day.

Everythinglooks good at this point, so called in a favour from my dealer and gotthem to do some digging around on the chassis number. Nothing came backother than it left the factory as a built GTI in 1983.

Still looking good, did an HPI on the chassis number and again nothing came back.

Atthis point im thinking ok new shell, poss stolen back in 83 from theport or dealers before it was registered, stripped for parts then theshell was stored and passed on a few times. So i call DVLA and enquirehow would i go about putting it back on the road if its a complete carand never used (which it isnt) it would be require MOT, TAX andInsurance (dont on the chassis number) then they will register at thecurrent date and put it on an 1983 age related plate. However if it isa shell which you are then putting an engine in then it would beregistered as a Q plate or if you provide evidence of the date of theengine they will assign a date related plate based on this.

Againim thinking ok, i buy new VAG parts stick an engine in it and blag DVLAto get it reg as a new car (ie dont tell them about the engine), bingo0 miles 83 campaign reg 2009.

I heard from the forums the guywas looking for 5k for it which i was prepared to pay so tried toarrange an appointment to go and see it. I was on business in Liverpooland live in Scotland so it was easy for me to swing past Bishop Aughtonwhere the car is stored. I called the number on the listing a fewtimes (07717215592) no answer and no answer phone to leave a call.

Theni called the number from the other adds on ebay (07795 642696) abreakers yard finaly get to speak to someone. But its only the guysmate and he cant make any decisions and i need to speak to Bill Walton,then he gets very defensive when i start asking questions about thechassis number thows a hissy fit and gets me off the phone.

Icall Bill again a few times then send him a txt saying im not wastinghis time, i wanna cum see it and if im happy and we can agree a pricehe will get a deposit and i will collect within a few days.

Fewhours later im on t he M6 and think i will give it one last try andcall the breakers again to see if he has another number for Bill, heapologies by saying hes trying to run a business and getting 100's ofcalls from people wasting his time about this mk1, which of course isunderstandable to apology accepted he agrees to try and get a hold ofhis mate.

I get home to Scotland a few hours later still no call.

Igive the guy one last try and send an email via ebay saying im andenthusiast not a time waster, ive got the cash and can i come down onSunday to view it.

This morning i finally get a call from Bill, AT LAST.

Soi ask the usual whats the story with the car, where did you get it,whats the history to try and put together a plausible picture.Seemingly the shell was stored inside under a sheet in a commercialbusiness for 10 year where by the business was sold and the new ownerof the business sold the shell to bill (this is really weird as thats astory ive told many times about my first MK1 GTI, but it was a completecar with 20k on it)

All still looking good, my thoughts thenmove to the originally of the car, from the pics i new it wasnt a goodpaint job but ive got a mate with a spray booth (eh K33ts :wink: ) Soi wanted to get some info on the condition of the shell my question isis there any sign or use on the shell? at this point the guy throws ahissy fit, so after his rant i said politely that it was it was new inthe listing details at the top he gives me a mouthfull of abuse thenhangs up on me with F**K OFF.

Im stunned but annoyed so i callback and give him a bit of the old GBH of the ear hole back, and hestarts on a rant about people wasting his time. I tell him i know MK1'sinside out im not a time waster but hes not going to pull the wool overmy eyes with a rotten shell which has had a quick paint. I get told "iwill not being selling the car to you, do not call back" and get hungup on.

In summary the shell is not NEW and most prob rotten fromthe pics, there is no Vin plate on the slam panel in the pic so mythinking is that VW possibility screwed up and assigned the car 2chassis numbers when it left the factory. One stamped on the car at thedrain tray and another for build purposes in the boot floor sticker,the owner has noticed this and removed the details of the other chassisnumber, if anyone does go to view it id be interested if the chassisnumber is visible on the drain tray area.

Another possibility isDVLA mix up, probably the chassis number registered one digit out,might have came into the scrap yard and someone noticed when checkingthe V5 against the car. Either way its a used shell, mileage unknownwhich will most likley go onto a Q plate.

in my opinion unless you want to be dodgy its worth less than a rotten GTI shell
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 14:34

Told you so!

Dodgy pikey scrap man!
Back to top Go down
EditiononeG60
Nomad
Nomad
EditiononeG60

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 14:54

init
Back to top Go down
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 15:01

Ha. Good find.

My money's on the digit typo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?   Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fancy a 59 plate Mk1 Campaign?
Page 1 of 1