Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Changing dash cluster

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
philipmcTDI

philipmcTDI

Changing dash cluster Empty
PostSubject: Changing dash cluster   Changing dash cluster I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 10:26

hey folks, im new to the site

Ive a serious problem with my mk 2 jetta 1.6 TD 1991

Ive got the orginal guage cluster with the mph and clock on it, but i want to change it to the GTI model with the trip computer and RPM model

heres the pictures of the front and rear of both the clusters

Ive been looking up how to change my standard dash clocks to the gti clocks with the rev guage and the trip computer and what not!

the connector socket at the back of the guages dont match the new guage! the socket that plugs into my dash has a 20ish pin setup

where as the gti cluster has 2 individual connector sockets with 6-8 pins in each one

is there an adaptor harness out there that i can get or is this going to be one of them all day jobs of soldering new wiring! any advice would be greatly appricated please Smile

old cluster

Changing dash cluster DSC01082

Gti cluster

Changing dash cluster DSC01081

back of the old cluster

Changing dash cluster DSC01083

Back of the GTI cluster

Changing dash cluster DSC01084-1

there is some differences which i guess wont work on the guage but if at all anyone can give me advice how to get it to work, it would be appricated fully Smile
Back to top Go down
philipmcTDI

philipmcTDI

PostSubject: Re: Changing dash cluster   Changing dash cluster I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 12:17

even if it mean ive to make my own wiring loom to adapt this to work

any thing will help! Smile
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Changing dash cluster   Changing dash cluster I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 14:32

u seriously gonna try and get the mfa working and everything!?? that sounds like a mission!?

just get some clocks from a driver or a 1.8 8v model then u get the rev counter and u wont have to worry bout all that annoying witring!?
Back to top Go down
philipmcTDI

philipmcTDI

PostSubject: Re: Changing dash cluster   Changing dash cluster I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 16:09

would this mean the trip would work aswell or is there anything else i need to sort out?
Back to top Go down
philipmcTDI

philipmcTDI

PostSubject: Re: Changing dash cluster   Changing dash cluster I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2009, 10:17

right folks ive collected a different set of clocks that have the same 1 socket connector, it has extra pins inside none bent and none missing from the orginal ones!

but it wont work

I collected another GTI dash cluster but it was missing the mph guage, so ive fitted mine! straight swap and have went to fit it!

First thing i notice is the indicator lights dont show on the dash, the trip is plain blank even if it was to just show the time, the the RPM guages doesnt work! any clues folks why it wont work?

Changing dash cluster DSC01085

Changing dash cluster DSC01086
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing dash cluster   Changing dash cluster I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing dash cluster
Page 1 of 1