Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

This beauty is my new bug.....

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

This beauty is my new bug..... Empty
PostSubject: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 03:23

It was cheap! (You'll see why!),I love ratlook, on aircooleds especially, saw this on ebay and impulsively gave the chap a ring and roped my brother into driving me to the other side of Ashford Kent.

All previous owners bar the one I got it from were elderly so its got the elderly owner patina and repairs, but is absolutely rock solid where it matters. On a par underneath to Geoffs (caliomri's) bug. Years MOT.

The dude I bought it from dragged it from an old girls drive, mot'd it then blew his 64 show bug up so needed cash asap. Its a 1600 that needs a major tune up, gaffer tape covers holes etc. So essentially it hasnt been driven for over a year.

I agreed a price, fueled it up and tackled the 100 mile drive home at 55mph. It needs a tune up as its under powered but drives very very well.

Original 73K on the body chassis, engine was replaced a few years ago. All MOT's from 1977 and a spreadsheet all the owners kept up with annual mileage, and MOT location etc.

Plans are to slam it using my 70's bug beam and a 1 spline drop at the rear. As far as I'm concerned it'll then be perfect. Beautys in the eye of the eye of beholder and all that.

I don't get naming cars but apparently this has been called Eddie for over 10 years.

Please meet Eddie.

This beauty is my new bug..... 2009_0619salebugs0012

This beauty is my new bug..... 2009_0619salebugs0013

This beauty is my new bug..... 2009_0607salebugs0002

*Edited to make it more of another project thread just for fun*

Stu

Last edited by Knighty on Wed Jun 24 2009, 14:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 03:38

These air cooled beauties are becoming ever more alluring!

DANGEROUSLY SO!

Aaron warned me that i'd turn eventually!

i want a camper!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 04:17

Once they get under your skin theres no escaping it thats for sure!
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 04:24

This beauty is my new bug..... IMG_4153

This is a friend's van, I'm not much into the air cooled world but I'd have a splitty in a second.
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 05:01

Haydns, he builds some good stuff.

Proper nice bloke as well.
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 05:36

He is indeed a leg end.

Golf's going to see him at some point to get bodywork made good.
Back to top Go down
3peice
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 08:20

come on knighty Rolling Eyes 2 splines at the rear u know it makes sence Twisted Evil This beauty is my new bug..... Josh282
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 09:14

I'm tempted to go 2 splines as the beam thats going on is cut and turned so with the adjuster at max its still scraping on some things, on full drop it won't move.

How do you find 2 splines around hemel?

Stu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 09:15

This beauty is my new bug..... Nmj_4
my old one
mr hayden a legend
Back to top Go down
3peice
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 09:23

Knighty wrote:
I'm tempted to go 2 splines as the beam thats going on is cut and turned so with the adjuster at max its still scraping on some things, on full drop it won't move.

How do you find 2 splines around hemel?

Stu
2 at the rear 6 inch narrowed beam dropped spindles NO front shocks affraid not too bad but who gives a sh"t about the ride its all about the stance cheers
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 10:00

*tell* wrote:
This beauty is my new bug..... Nmj_4
my old one
mr hayden a legend

I remember that! had a phase as a Baja if I remember correctly.

Stu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 14:36

what a banging thread fellas! good one knightly, H O W E V E R, why didnt you sell one of them civics to get it, instead of selling the wagen Sad . very disapointed Stu Razz .

i love aircooled stuff so much, i just wish i had the knowledge with them, 3 pieces Bug is just savage and has grown on me loads!!

my dads into them, and has a T25 on porker wheels, but, thats one of the later ones thats watercooled....
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 14:44

Cool saw knighty's beetle earlier!

BEAST

Rat-a-tat-tat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 15:02

so his mk2 has gone?
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 16:12

Eddie's got a black eye, was it a punch up with Le Silver.
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2009, 16:49

eddie is funny, le silver was in attendance as well!
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 01:27

Bazza wrote:
Eddie's got a black eye, was it a punch up with Le Silver.

PMSL, No, but if it was, Eddie would have chewed off le silvers testicles and spat them in his eye. He's a badass kinda bug, his hero is Chuck Norris.

Dubsy - Sell a civic, no way man, I'm addicted to 8.500rpm pulls down back roads and through tunnels, its in my blood as much as the aircooleds. Nothing makes your ball sack tingle like winding up the old B16a1 on a summers morning.

Saturday is slamming day. Can't wait.

Stu.

(Nice to meet you Mr Brindle, do you ever stop laughing? Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 01:50

Not around Vw's i dont!

Thats my childish excitement coming through!

Petrol Head!

good to meet you to dude
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 10:40

What's the power figures for your civic and at what revs? Them vtecs are only quick when they're on the boil, they also sound like a rice head shagging a inbread pig.

Please can you state the figures for yours stu Smile
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 15:04

Sod the figures, let's have a Nomads show down.
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 15:09

Last rolling road last year up at Silverstone.

160.9 at 7800rpm, 125ft/lb torque, can't remember where it peaked. Remember its a 1.6 though.
The B16a engine held the highest bhp per litre of any production car for quite some years. 100bhp per litre. So mine is running bang on the numbers at 165k and never been rebuilt. Neither has the gearbox and my brother used to give it the beans up the pod when he owned it years ago.

Since then I've got a lightweight one peice 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, which will hopefully help the torque move lower down and improve top end bhp, once i've heat wrapped it and can be bothered to fit it.

Its just a folly, I used to have loads of mates with tuned hondas before the honda scene really existed in the UK.
Its not about the speed as I treat her like its made of glass, its more the experience, its quite different to other hot hatchs of its era.

They only sound like vibrating metal dustbins when the true ricers get them, us enthusiasts go discreet but effective with the exhausts, you'll never hear mine sounding anything but smooth. Mongoose system, subtle but tuneful!

I like anything old skool, or interesting or else I wouldnt be on here!

^^ Why do I feel like I'm at something like an AA meeting? "My name is stu and I like Hondas" Laughing

Stu

Last edited by Knighty on Tue Jun 23 2009, 15:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 15:11

Bazza wrote:
Sod the figures, let's have a Nomads show down.

It can't come out that night it'll be washing its hair. Very Happy

Anyway, back to the bug. It was even cheaper to buy as I found a rat look pound coin in the glovebox, all tarnished and mouldy.

Jen also found out the back seat is perishing as she got covered in itchy black dust (from sitting on it I hasten to add) so that will need a major scrub.

Can't wait to get it on its arse.

Stu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23 2009, 17:06

Agreed with Bazza, showdown ftw please Wink
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24 2009, 01:33

Not sure as it would have to be at a RWYB.

Plus with all the turbo cars on here it would be a no brainer. 1.6NA vs forced induction, and VR6's, no competition.

I do not and never have been one of those that beleive my car is the fastest in the world.
I like it because it makes me happy.

Stu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24 2009, 01:36

Knighty wrote:
Not sure as it would have to be at a RWYB.

Plus with all the turbo cars on here it would be a no brainer. 1.6NA vs forced induction, and VR6's, no competition.

I do not and never have been one of those that beleive my car is the fastest in the world.
I like it because it makes me happy.

Stu

Mines naturally aspirated, not set yet so running less bhp, I'm down for showdown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This beauty is my new bug.....   This beauty is my new bug..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This beauty is my new bug.....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nomads VW :: General :: Dub Chat-
Jump to: