Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

in need of coilovers. . .

Go down 
+5
Bazza
dapperdan
CADDYANDY
Calimori
vw_colourconcept
9 posters
AuthorMessage
vw_colourconcept

in need of coilovers. . . Empty
PostSubject: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22 2009, 05:57

hi guys. . . .
im in need of some decent coilovers. can anyone recommend a good set under £400 ?
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22 2009, 09:21

This is a horrible subject as it can get personal.

I went for GAZ in the end via these guys
EBay link.

URL is appearing broke for me but should be working????

Now they are £95 more but are a great bit of kit.

Weitec were coming in at £460 and were also considered to be a good package.
Back to top Go down
vw_colourconcept

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22 2009, 12:58

how hard is it to fit ???
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23 2009, 00:26

Well mine is a MKIV but I was helped by Papa Steve and he said they were similar.
I made sure I had all the new top mounts and other required bolts and bits. We used a far bit of rubber mallet, some prising with chisels and a deep socket spanner and long reach allen key. If you have the right tools it is doing able by anyone but is tough due to the age of the vehicle and the sort of impact the suspension takes.
Back to top Go down
CADDYANDY
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
CADDYANDY

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23 2009, 00:29

Does'nt take that long mate but as calimori said get new top mounts.
i can do a set on a mk2 with my bro in less than 45mins and we did a
mk3 in under a hour.

CADDYANDY aka GREASE MONKEY
WWW.HERTSDUBS.COM
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.HERTSDUBS.COM
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23 2009, 01:47

to fit suspension?

10 bolts and some swearing

if you got £400 go fk's

papa steeve's got em on his VR very nice ride
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23 2009, 07:10

Change your wishbones, ball joints and ARB mounts while your at it, they are cheap and being a 'P' reg your rubber mounts will be F**KED.

Good luck looking for your coilies
Back to top Go down
CADDYANDY
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
CADDYANDY

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23 2009, 07:44

Bazza wrote:
Change your wishbones, ball joints and ARB mounts while your at it, they are cheap and being a 'P' reg your rubber mounts will be F**KED.

Good luck looking for your coilies

LOL BAZZA
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.HERTSDUBS.COM
vw_colourconcept

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2009, 05:00

iv just found these set of fk. . gone down from £400 to £280
http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=3037&manufacturer=FK&category=Suspension
any 1 here has a set of these???
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2009, 17:33

Cheap, get em.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Nomad
Nomad
Doug

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2009, 02:59

Im gunna get slagged off hobbibly for saying this but when i bought my mk2 the coilys were seziezed and with a limited budget i found a company called ritter who sold new coilovers delievered to your door for £220 (cant miss em theyre all over fleabay)

Ive had em 6 months and theyve been perfect.... also got a firend that bought a set about a year back and his are also still going strong.

Regards
Doug
Back to top Go down
http://Email: Tanilba@Hotmail.Co.Uk
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2009, 06:37

Its all about your budget and what you want from your new coily`s.... Dan said im running FK but im actually running KW variant1 and these cost me £550 from topgear coz i got them to price match an advert in PVW.... anyway personally id go for Weitec there very good for the money! most people that run FK say they only last a yr or 2 and are prone to seizure if you dont get stainless... if you can stretch your budget to say £500 then your options would be better like the GAZ that cali`s running, if £400 is max then you could go the fk and just look after them!! with performance in mind theres not alot to compare with... defo get new top mounts front and rear!
Back to top Go down
Gold-mk1
Nomad
Nomad
Gold-mk1

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10 2010, 01:38

I've had a set of uber-cheap FK's on my mk1 for over two years now, done at least 20-30K on them I would have thought, £175.

Of course, the ride isn't perfect....but I drove around in a seriously slammed bug for 15 years, so to me its limo like quality.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.retro-rides.com
MartinR
Nomad
Nomad
MartinR

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11 2010, 13:49

im with doug, went for the cheepest i could, ta tecnix cost 179 posted. all i wanted from them was to go low, not too bothered about ride, had them 6 months or so and been fine

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COILOVER-VW-GOLF-MK2-ADJUSTABLE-SUSPENSION_W0QQitemZ250558713002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a56768caa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: in need of coilovers. . .   in need of coilovers. . . I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in need of coilovers. . .
Page 1 of 1