Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 03:06

Gonna get new manifold, shot blasted, paint it and wrap it i think. Any ever done it? Isit woth it? And where would i get the wrap from? (good stuff)

Cheers,

Dom
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 03:33

I've heat wrapped in the past and I think it helps. There are people that say it can crack manifolds but I've never had an issue. Maybe with turbos it may with the higher temps.

My engine bay was noticeable cooler after a blast and (stupidly) on my Honda I could touch the manifold breifly. It still burnt me, but not as much as it would have and I didnt get a burn mark. Stupid way to test but thats me!
Also the hotter the exhaust the easier the gas can escape, apparently improving the scavenger effect in the cylinders. (helps bring in the intake mix).

You need to wet it when you start it up for the 1st time as I think it helps shrink it? Personally I'd damp it down when wrapping it, the fibres get everywhere and itch like buggery for days after. I didnt damp it down and me and the missus were going mad with itching after we did it!

I'd use it again for sure.

Stu
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 06:30

sweet, any idea where you got your stuff from??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 06:52

If you have the manifold in your hand do it, as knightly says though, I've heard some cracking manifold storys but if your wagen is n/a do it, heard slot of good shiiiiiiiiii bout it bout it!
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 07:51

I got some from e-bay but it wasnt as long as advertised.

Apsley motor spares used to do it, they seem to do everything!

Worth a phone call. 01442 253753

How sad am I!

Stu
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 08:43

Having read a bit about going large on Zorsts, I was surprised to hear that they are all about heat transfer and not just gas. A turbo works from the energy not the flow force of the gas.
With this in mind, wrap that manifold well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 09:21

no turbos unfortunatly, its a g40 4-2-1 steel, been battered about to fit a g40 with a huuuuuge sump by the looks of things, £50 tho, blasted, painted and wrapped should look cool though.

As we are on the exhaust subject, is there any different in performance/longevity etc of gasket as im going to need one, any different types etc? Who from?

cheers
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 09:22

also if i were to start a progress thread/help me! thread which it will innevitably turn out to be, on my enginer conv what section would it go in?
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 10:41

For a help thread the best place is the car specific section but for the build up it would go in the garage.
Put it in the garage for now, I can build a new tech section from there if required later and we work out where it actually is best to share the information.
Back to top Go down
sparkie1984
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 11:54

id love a ceramic coated one, god knows where could do that though? im sure i read that heat wrapping can cause dangerous egt's on turbo engines, maybe thats on a stock, poor flowing manifold?

ill do a bit of research on this i think!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nomadsvw.co.uk
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15 2009, 16:32

sweet cheers guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?   Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heat wrapping zorst??? Worth it?
Page 1 of 1