Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

1300 turbo conversion help please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
veedee1300

turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please Empty
PostSubject: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30 2009, 06:19

Hi all my VW Bro's

This is the first forum I found that actually seems to have some recent activity. I drive a Golf mk 1 1300 1996 model. I was thinking about turboing it and I would appreciate any help on this topic. A friend of mine has a opel corsa 1400 with a KKK T28 turbo that makes about 150kw and upwards. Thats quite descent power for a 600kg car. So what I want to know is what am I suppose to do to the compression ratio, head, and rods? I will be running our South African made Gotech MFI pro fuel injection system. I cannot find a single bloke on the net that has ever turboed a 1300 VW engine! Can it be done? i wana boost a max of .8 bar but .5 will also do

Thanx in advance
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30 2009, 07:35

Hi and welcome.

Hopefully our very knowledgeable South African, who I believe has boosted a few things, will be able to offer some more advice.
Personally I don't know anyone who has turbo'd one of these either but anything can be boosted but it depends on three things:

1) Power
2) Reliability
3) Money

The more of the firsts you want, the less of the second you get unless you give more of the third.
If you keep the boost low, you might well be fine with the same head and rods as long as you get the compression correct. Obviously it needs lowering but by how much depends on the boost and that is an area I have not played with yet.

So the questions we need to ask:
What turbo are you going to be using?
Have you thought about where the intercooler will go?
Have you planed a custom exhaust downpipe to house the turbo?

Then the final question, would it be cheaper to buy a bigger lump for the same gains?

Once you are happy with the answers, give it a go and enjoy the trip. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
veedee1300

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30 2009, 08:00

Thanx man I will weigh the odds against each other. I'm just crazy for turbo's. The sound when it spools and that lovely dump valve ktsssshhh sound! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30 2009, 10:01

Mine using a recirculating valve from factory, the more work I do to it the less I hear a woosh.

This is my first turbo which was why I bought it, the tuning potential is huge but getting rid of the heat and keeping it from cooking is harder. You can start to spend significant money on getting about 20 more BHP, when you could buy a 1.8 and spend a lot less.
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06 2009, 02:28

I assume I'm stating the obvious but I'll do it anyway...

Would it not be better to just put a bigger engine in it? Cheaper, more power, more potential, greater reliability, greater drivability...
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06 2009, 02:57

veedee1300 wrote:
Hi all my VW Bro's

This is the first forum I found that actually seems to have some recent activity. I drive a Golf mk 1 1300 1996 model. I was thinking about turboing it and I would appreciate any help on this topic. A friend of mine has a opel corsa 1400 with a KKK T28 turbo that makes about 150kw and upwards. Thats quite descent power for a 600kg car. So what I want to know is what am I suppose to do to the compression ratio, head, and rods? I will be running our South African made Gotech MFI pro fuel injection system. I cannot find a single bloke on the net that has ever turboed a 1300 VW engine! Can it be done? i wana boost a max of .8 bar but .5 will also do

Thanx in advance

Hey bro, Personaly I know of only one guy in SOuth Africa who has turboed a 1.3. Most guys are building 2.2 and 2.0 8 Valve stroker motors as they develop 110 120 break out the box usualy running the mp9 fuel injection and gotech fuel management. It can be done, but persoanly my feeling is a t28 is going to be to big for that motor. If you look up I will try and find out some more for you, but generaly speaking, most guys dont, because you can get better power for less money in other ways. The chap with the 1400 corsa, I think that car will probably be running a huge cam, and probably drives like an absolute pig in traffic. Thats the only way I see that turbo working. Anyway I will ask around and see what I can dig up for you. Cheers P

Oh the other thing, does your golf have the fuel injected cars tank or the carb tank, because if it still has the carb tank you will need to replace it and the fuel lines front to back.
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06 2009, 03:06

Hey dude sorry I only just saw your in bloem! I thought you were maybe this side of the pond like me! hehehehe my bad.

The man you need to speak to without a doubt is Stephan he is one of the original old boys who started VWclubSA. He helped me spades with my 2lt 16V turbo conversion. ALso he turboed his wifes 1.3 corsa, plus the last time I saw him he was driving a turboed VR6 jetta that was putting down silly power. THe other guy who is a really good guy for advice is Clive from Topsport developments in jet park. He is also a good mate and he has had many turboed cars, the last I knew of was a sickly fast VR6 turbo mk2 golf. I hope this helps bro, if you speak to these guys you cant go wrong

Cheers

P
Back to top Go down
veedee1300

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11 2009, 09:12

Hi looner

Man thanx I know about topsport and will speak to Clive. That corsa belongs to Ryno Pienaar. He did a lot of track days at Kyalami and swartkops and Kilani. It,s a metallic blue corsa with white wheels and silver stickers. It was white first with cards and flames on the side. Then later matt black and now the blue.Ring a bell?He knows Clive quite well if i'm correct.

But ya I will talk to the guys at topsport.Thanx man
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11 2009, 09:20

Thats cool,

Clive is a good chap, knows his stuff. When I saw him last he was in the Mk2 VR turbo. Before that I think he had a green caddy with a 2lt 16V turbo.
Like I said it has been a while since I have seen the guys, but yeah they will be able to help you out for sure. To be totaly honest, I have been out of the scene in SA for over 5 years. So I can't really recall that corsa dude.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11 2009, 09:45

Stephan is know as Panic mechanic, sorry forgot to mention that! LOL!

Cheers bro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1300 turbo conversion help please   turbo - 1300 turbo conversion help please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1300 turbo conversion help please
Page 1 of 1