Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My matt paint mk3 polo project

Go down 
+8
SuperMario
Knighty
vr6brew
PremiumVeeDub
Bazza
Fitzy
dapperdan
Bowmanjo
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cavs
cavs

My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2009, 13:11

looking good mate!!
Where did you get the Jager stickers from?? I need some!
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2009, 03:13

I'm studying Marketing, got mates on the motorsport course though.

I emailed Jagermeister asking for stickers to put on my car and they sent me a sh*tload, took a few months to arrive though! All of my mates here have got a jager sticker across their back window!

Cheers for the props, and the gammy paint is going to be sorted soon, going for a completely different look, a matt look motorsport sorta thing!

Last edited by Fitzy on Sun Aug 23 2009, 14:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language)
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2009, 03:06

yes mate a wolf in hobo's clothing

look forward to seein this
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30 2009, 06:49

Ok, the moment I have been waiting for! Although it is by no means finished, it now runs 1272cc power and bike carbs! Well... This was fraught with so many problems that it would actually hurt to list them. The engine I had originally bought was put in, and compression test run and they made a perfect slope from great compression.... to pure s*@!. Long story short, we had to write it off after much messing around trying various different things, as the previous owner seemed to have got a bit optimistic with tuning the engine, we think he skimmed the block in an attempt to raise compression, but not level, thus creating our compression issue. It would run fine on cylinder 1 & 2, where the compression was good, but 3 & 4 would make new difference if unplugged, and the carbs would spit flame quite regularly Sad

In the downtime we sorted the brakes, which are now pretty much upgraded in every aspect than the servo and disc diameter-
-Rick Gee grooved, drilled and vented discs
-Goodridge braided hoses
-1.8 Passat master cylinder
-G40 Calipers and Carriers
-EBC Greenstuff pads
My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 PICT3902 Here's a cheeky peek, better pics to come

Then managed to source a new coupe s engine fairly quickly, unfortunately without balanced internals, but we may swap it all over at a later date... The important thing was; it ran!

We got the new engine in, then had a bit of trouble getting the carbs balanced, and we are still a bit worried about how they are fuelling etc. and it feels like it has more to give in terms of power, but she sounds incredible! Here are some bay shots-
My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 PICT3898
My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 PICT3899
Note the Scirocco swirl pot, and OEM looking oil catch tank made from a Frontera power steering pump!
My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 PICT3897
Some nice bracketry to support the carbs and throttle cable and the 1 litre's throttle cam profile on so I have normal pedal travel

I'm so happy that it is finally in and running, but we still have a lot of work to do to get it right. Still occasionally pops flames outta the carbs on overrun and tickover, has a very lump idle, and also backfires a bit. But it sounds mega! Will get a video up at some point soon, can't fire it up at the moment 'cos my dad works nights!
Back to top Go down
wilko26
Nomad
Nomad
wilko26

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30 2009, 07:19

very nice m8 am likeing that alot well done
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30 2009, 10:10

Looking good mate, some nice work going on there !
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01 2009, 12:45

Cheers guys, it drives so much better than the 1 litre spi! It's not pin you to the seat fast, but it does seem to be getting quicker and quicker as it all wears in, and it is so responsive. The noise is absolutely phenomenal though, just sounds so brutal. Haven't revved it past 5000 yet, can't wait till it's completely set up so that I can without worrying.
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2009, 04:24

nice one bruva..

you gotta bring her down the meet on thurs?????????
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2009, 06:34

Not got her up here yet sadly, got some tweeking and running in to do before I take it from Suffolk to Hatfield. For a start I need a choke cable so that I can start it up without my bonnet open! also want the brakes a bit more bedded in before I brave the motorway, as they were scary before, now they are ludicrous. Will get her to a Nomads meet this year though, that is the plan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My matt paint mk3 polo project
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2