Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Another Suspension Question

Go down 
+2
Gricey
Calimori
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

Another Suspension Question Empty
PostSubject: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 08:24

I have found a good deal on a set of Weitec Hicon GT Coilover Kit, they retail at about £488. Does anyone have any reviews about them?

I know I can spend more and get better or less and get worse. I dont want to go lower than 30-40mm so don't really need that much adjustment but am happy to ensure I can get the stance right. Always been a fan of Eibach but am prepared for a change....
Back to top Go down
Gricey
Nomad
Nomad
Gricey

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 11:12

weitec coilovers have allways been a good quality set and have a nice ride comfort and build quality, But tbh for that sorta money you should be able to find some Gaz coilovers wich will be a bit better quality (nothing wrong with weitec but gaz are better) and will have the rebound and dampening adjust ment to get the perfect stance hight and comfort

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310067572638&cguid=6055dc9011e0a0e204343604fd73492a
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruise-herts.net
Lisa
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 11:21

I dont think Wietec have metal protection (cant remember what its actually called) and are more prone to siezing unless kept regularly lubed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Lisa_Kimber/584390012
Gricey
Nomad
Nomad
Gricey

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 11:29

they come with life a copper slip stuff to spray on when u fit. Although it is allways good to oil any coilovers regularly. I bought cheap £200 ebay jobbies for my mk3, neva lubed or cleaned them and they never seized!!! i was shocked and amazed lol
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 13:41

That is the problem, with another £100 I can buy something else but where does it stop. I was going to buy Koni dampers with Eibach springs for £620. But have been told that the Weitecs will give me good comfort and adjustability.

I don't want to be cleaning and lubing them though... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 14:47

£620 for shocks and springs is alot of money

You can get a top spec set of coilovers 4 that
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 14:51

^^^^agreed! KW V1s coilies are around £640 for the MK4 Smile
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 14:53

PM wildchild, I think he put a Sock over his thread's after lubing them, then there was no corrosion.

Venom do FK Konigsports for £527, not sure if this price includes VAT, most places do FK but stainless for £50 more I think.

Sure Papa said he got his for £550, not sure if they were the stainless ones though, plus think his were KW's
Back to top Go down
Lisa
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 15:02

Bazza wrote:
Sure Papa said he got his for £550, not sure if they were the stainless ones though, plus think his were KW's
KWs are cheaper on a MK3 platform than a MK4.
Back to top Go down
Gricey
Nomad
Nomad
Gricey

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10 2009, 15:47

c with the socks i can only see this being a bad thing trapping in the dirt and moisture and making it worse, if it was me id buy the gaz coil's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 00:19

i put socks over mine, becasue they kept getting dirty and gritty

i took them off and cleaned them back up to new, and put a sock over them.

went to raise it up for the MOT last thursday and took the socks off, they were still lubed up like brand new, amazing Very Happy

mine are stainless tho, and they always undo everytime.

adams mk 3 coilies are newer than mine, he went to lower his some more and had to take a hammer to them..starting to seize in less than a year Sad
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 01:13

I am just not finding these things for the MK4 at a good price and I have been calling and getting discount based on the clubs I am members of.
The spring and damper set up is for a sensible drop with great ride comfort from Koni FSD so I expect to pay higher.
KW1's are coming out at £725.... Eibach coilovers are a similar price.
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 03:10

I don't know what the Weitec coilover's are like, but i've got the shocks and spring's and they do give a comfortable ride. I know coilover's are different, cheaper ones can be harsh ride.

Maybe it's just me but I couldn't warrant paying KW prices no matter how good they are.

Would probably go down the Weitec route myself, but it's all down to personal preference.
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 03:17

Bazza wrote:
PM wildchild, I think he put a Sock over his thread's after lubing them, then there was no corrosion.

Venom do FK Konigsports for £527, not sure if this price includes VAT, most places do FK but stainless for £50 more I think.

FK konigsports are koni equiped FK's (i think)

and would be my top choice

but agreed with gricey go GAZ over weitec
i have always had the impression weitec's are more your OEM
than your slam hard???

go for the most agustment in non oxidizing finish FOR THE PRICE YOU WANT

get huntin!!
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 03:18

you gonna need drip links

and a few bushes too IN CHA???
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 03:21

That is the problem, my personal experience is Eibach springs which I really rate. I could just buy stock shocks and eibach springs want to do something different this time.
This is such a mind bend. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 03:25

dubdread wrote:
you gonna need drip links

and a few bushes too IN CHA???
Car is running on new bushes at the front, polly in everything (including ARB and drop links) except the front wishbones to keep some comfort . Would need an aftermarket ARB to get lower than 40-50mm but I also would not get into my estate so a 30mm for now is all I really need.

OK, I will do some hunting for GAZ....
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 04:03

A few GAZ stockists

Absolutely Shocks Ltd
17 Monks Rise,
Welwyn Garden City
Herts,
AL8 7NF
Tel: 01707 334819
www.absolutelyshocks.com
absolutelyshocks@btinternet.com

Awesome GTI
www.awesome-gti.co.uk

Carnoisseur
+44 (0)1582 605 600
Dunstable, UK
www.carnoisseur.com
headoffice@carn.com

Classic Spares Ltd
+44 (0)1992 716 236
Waltham Cross, Herts, UK
info@classicsparesltd.co.uk

Mini Spares Centre Ltd
+44 (0)1707 607700
Potters Bar, Herts, UK
www.minispares.com
sales@minispares.com
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 05:00

They might stock them but they don't quote online their prices.... Mad
awesome don't even list them....
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11 2009, 10:04

Found a set of GAZ GHA shocks for £501 delivered, if we are finished with the suggestions then I might be ready to commit....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Suspension Question   Another Suspension Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Suspension Question
Page 1 of 1