Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!

Go down 
+2
brindle
dubdom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! Empty
PostSubject: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09 2008, 08:57

After all this crap, with car being off road for over month, i have replaced fuel tank, tried 3 pumps, bought loadsa fuel line, failed to get it ready for mot retest date and..............................

It was one tiny bit of foot long fuel hose coming off the sender, which was so perished it had cracked, and fuel was leaking, and obviously no vacuum to suck fuel. Replaced it, and ran a fuel line off the sender, out of the door, up over the bonnet and into the carb, she started!!

The lines are now routed correctly, need to bleed brakes, sort out handbrake, put on zorst, retest and solved. Pretty expensive lesson this time, oh well spose old motors do need some loving some of the time.

All credit and thanks, to big tell, for giving me lifts about to grab parts, helping me try to diagnose problems and helping me sort the thing out. He did get a couple of macdonalds and a christmas tree along the way.

Tell, did you manage to get the vid of it started up onto computer?

Last edited by dubdom on Fri Dec 26 2008, 02:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09 2008, 13:23

i know someone who may be able to help. what engine?? is the fuel pump buzzing when you turn the key to 1 before start??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09 2008, 14:52

there goes my day off Suspect
see you tomorrow mate
i need food and drink lol!
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09 2008, 15:04

dont make me feel to guilty tell. I hope you like french fries, 2 for £3. 24 crisps should keep you going for a day.

we shall see what happens tomo
Back to top Go down
3peice
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: mk1   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10 2008, 00:03

is this the white 1 small eng ? if so will have mech f/pump no good removing fuel lines from sender remove fuel pipe from pump to carb put end of pipe in fuel can to catch any fuel then turn over eng approx 10 secs pump may just need priming after removing tank if u get fuel from pipe then re connect to pump and turn eng over again and car should fire up
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10 2008, 03:44

I bet you've got a tank with a sender unit and an engine that doesn't know what to do with all the fuel..
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10 2008, 04:04

take note of wot 3piece says as he knows his stuff
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10 2008, 15:59

3peice wrote:
is this the white 1 small eng ? if so will have mech f/pump no good removing fuel lines from sender remove fuel pipe from pump to carb put end of pipe in fuel can to catch any fuel then turn over eng approx 10 secs pump may just need priming after removing tank if u get fuel from pipe then re connect to pump and turn eng over again and car should fire up

Right quick update, me and big tell have spent a day trying to get this thing going, lots of trial and error, and some moments of happiness as it chugged to life and then died.

Have fuel lines on correct way etc to start with. Have managed to suck up fuel through line, but when connected back up you can just see it seep back down through the filter. It just isnt sucking up enough fuel. Tried a new fuel pump, no luck, old one is actually sucking, because if you push it in your hand it created suction, but when on car it doesnt create much suction at all. Feels like its just to weak.

Basically we came to the conclusion that the fuel lines have a minor blockage, or tank had some crud in it. How much resistance should there be as i blow down the line. I can hear the fuel bubbling in tank, but there is a bit of resistance (enough to make cheeks puff out).

We thought of sticking an inline facet fuel pump on it and seeing how that changed things.

Wotcha think guys?

cheers
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10 2008, 16:01

oh yeah and its nothing to do with ignition or anything, will run on carb cleaner, easy start, fuel direct into carb
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11 2008, 02:23

Mech or electiric pump?

If Mech, are you sure the rod that connects it to the crank(? or Cam?) is the right length? If it's not working at full stroke pump wont be at full efficency...
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11 2008, 15:14

mech, it worked before thats what is confusing me. Im gonna put a clear lines front inlet of pump to jerry can, so i determine if it is fooked. Am not gonna get a chance till next monday though so we see at happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2008, 09:20

how fixed and running=happy dom
just brakes and zorst to do
santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!   She lives!!!!!!  so relieved, and annoyed! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

She lives!!!!!! so relieved, and annoyed!
Page 1 of 1