Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Our Obsessions with cars.

Go down 
+9
Knighty
dapperdan
vwdeviant
Kayleigh
Calimori
Bazza
Fitzy
john @ Bennetts car parts
MattWilde
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Our Obsessions with cars. Empty
PostSubject: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23 2008, 13:40

Been thinking alot lately, after getting the dub back from apsley transmissions, the work hes done is fantasic and cannot fault him. the cars smoother, clutch is lush. not using much oil at ALL!

il let you in....it cost me 740 dub tokins for everything i had done.

but now the engines quite as a mouse, this tapping is getting on my fucking tits now as i can hear it more. Ian from A.T's said he noticed the tapping (best word to describe it) and said that he rekons its the valve guides, and said they used to suffer with that.

so now, eventually, il have to have the head off, new valve guides etc etc, head gasket etc etc. so another 500-600? maybe more?

now thinking if i should just quit now as 740 dub tokins for the work ive had and 600 for the work that i might ned doing in the future 1340 dub tokins all together!

maybe i should knock the dub thing on the head? but then again i love it so much!

thats all without even thinking about coilovers etc.

was wondering....whats everyone else spent ont here dubs? well you dont have to tell exact figures just a rough sketch on how much?

change my minds people bounce

cheers

Luke scratch
Back to top Go down
MattWilde

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23 2008, 14:55

After spending over £1K on suspension mods my engine went pop Crying or Very sad . I had the exact same thoughts as you but I love the car and knew if I had it all fixed then at least I know where I stand with it, basically leaving only the 'box to go bang. You could easily sell and get another car only to find you have to fix that one too. So I thought sod it, and now have an engine comeing over from Eurospec in the U.S. Expensive but worth it as far as I'm concerned, don't make cars like the Corrado anymore Very Happy
Back to top Go down
john @ Bennetts car parts
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23 2008, 16:21

my camper would have cost me atleast 6 k to do , but i have had now for 7-8 years and i love it to bits , every time i get behind the wheel i smile , the times i have had in her are priceless so yeah its worth every penny ,,,,, keep the faith
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23 2008, 16:53

dont loose faith in the dubs luke........................i did and ended up with an alfa 156!!!! arrrrrrgh!!!!

just remember..............u and tom (oaky gti) are both goin thru the same thing (tom on a LARGER scale), but when ur cars are as mint as they are u will get a good return on ur investment because tidy/clean mk2's are hard to come by nowadays and they will always sell for good money.

I wont tell u how much i spent on my old vr6 as kayleigh will read this and she will have my balls for earings!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23 2008, 17:08

Fitzy wrote:
I wont tell u how much i spent on my old vr6 as kayleigh will read this and she will have my balls for earings!!!

LOL

spoke to you on msn luke!! but these guys are talking sense!! and just to add. you know new cars arent much better!

my 57 plate van went bk to volkwagen after only completing 2700 miles (they spent £k trying to fix it, ecu.s wiring harnasses.. etc etc!) off the road 58 days! i know have a new 08 plate one Smile should be ok!

my dads 05 van.. VW had to get him back from portugal.. brakes failed this time last year. cost £1k just getting him towed back to the ferry port in spain, wheel bearing on back order! he then got picked up from portsmouth and given an audi estate with a towbar for the trailer.. van got taken from there to heathrow... now has a brand new rear axel, handbrake, brakes, bearing...(hubcap..it melted haha)

his GTI's are well in double figures.. and sent back an brand new mk 2 Oak green because of paint work...stopped production because of mk3's so they gave him a blue mk 2 GTI...

all round.. aslong as you know whats been done to the car, or as your doing it, all should be good

and with Ian at apsley transmissions.. you cant go wrong really!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 01:03

Cheers everyone for there input. Really helped!
Also had a chat with the old man about it too and he said the same thing!

going to keep it for sure as every time i drive it, it does put a smile on my face!

even if i have to have the window up so i dont hear that tapping noise Razz Laughing

is so frustrating though, all part of the fun!

Dubsy

Dubs, Sweat and beers
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 05:42

Dubsy.......................come for a drive in my car................i'll show u wot irritating noises sound like!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 05:52

Fitzy wrote:
Dubsy.......................come for a drive in my car................i'll show u wot irritating noises sound like!!!!!

ok Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 07:32

Fitzy wrote:

Can't hear anything but the exhaust in your car lol!

Keep the faith though Dubsy, just get a louder stereo.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 09:03

My (R.I.P) MK2 was bought for £158 and had half a tank of petrol, I fitted new rear bearings and drove it to Birmingham and expensed the journey for £180. I think if you take off petrol I made £100 for that journey so now the car had only cost me £58, my current MKIV takes that a week in fuel.
So I treated her to brake calipers, flushed the engine and replaced a few hoses. Over time I replaced the suspension, engine, gearbox, disks, pads, pipes, seats, fan, wheels, lights... OK, so the body was original and the next thing to be done. My bills show that I spent just over £1k on her and that includes getting someone else to fit the engine and gearbox and I didn't fancy doing it.
During that time I drove everywhere for work in her and expensed it, I think I expensed over £1k so the cost of running and owning the car excluding petrol was covered. When she was written off I got £1k back and kept a lot of parts. I miss her.

My MKIV costs too much to run, to buy any parts requires new with little second hand market, insurance is higher, tax is higher and she is worth less with every mile.

New cars suck, old Golfs require work but make you smile. Hang in there or sell it to me. ;-)
Back to top Go down
Kayleigh
Nomad
Nomad
Kayleigh

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 09:38

Fitzy wrote:

thnats not tapping though, thats just me moaning.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24 2008, 10:24

Calimori wrote:
My (R.I.P) MK2 was bought for £158 and had half a tank of petrol, I fitted new rear bearings and drove it to Birmingham and expensed the journey for £180. I think if you take off petrol I made £100 for that journey so now the car had only cost me £58, my current MKIV takes that a week in fuel.
So I treated her to brake calipers, flushed the engine and replaced a few hoses. Over time I replaced the suspension, engine, gearbox, disks, pads, pipes, seats, fan, wheels, lights... OK, so the body was original and the next thing to be done. My bills show that I spent just over £1k on her and that includes getting someone else to fit the engine and gearbox and I didn't fancy doing it.
During that time I drove everywhere for work in her and expensed it, I think I expensed over £1k so the cost of running and owning the car excluding petrol was covered. When she was written off I got £1k back and kept a lot of parts. I miss her.

My MKIV costs too much to run, to buy any parts requires new with little second hand market, insurance is higher, tax is higher and she is worth less with every mile.

New cars suck, old Golfs require work but make you smile. Hang in there or sell it to me. ;-)

cheers Cali!

and yes, i do have a smile from ear to ear driving mine, especially when 4k kicks in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25 2008, 02:55

I learnt very quickly NOT to try and keep track on spends....Restoring Air-cooleds will do that to you!

New engine for Dot The Notch cost best part of 3k all in but was a giant killer. Saying that was a good job I sold her before getting into Drag-racing as my mate who had same spec engine in his Beetle at the time, got bitten by that bug and so far has spent over 10k on engines alone!

The rocco has cost me couple grand in storage over last few years and it hasn't seen the road since 2001!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25 2008, 04:53

i have spent over 5k(estimated) across two chassis,3 paint jobs ,3sets of wheels, in the last two years, and i consider myself to have now a well sorted

(mechanically anyway!) motor

you just have to stay within your means, buy second hand wen it doesnt matter,

be cunning like a FOX!

any more bills like that for the engine and i would consider ABF swop whole engine its a piece of piss my mum could do it!!!

me thinks DUBSY needs needs to be transmitted some NOMADLOVE! mine is beamin at ya now

remember if you aint payin you aint playin!! BUT what a freakin game !!!!
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26 2008, 11:22

Dude,

I have been where you are many many times. I may use a few dirty words as my other obsession is old skool *ahem* H*ndas.

My point is that I have rebuilt a few cars and each one has been 'the last bloody project' but whenever I sell one I regret it almost immediately.

A 92 4 door sleeper of a c*v*c, koni adjustables, race exhaust and seriously shifted, I got fed up with the silly little things it needed and got shot, and regretted it as soon as the new owner hit the limiter down my road. It was close to mint and wouldnt have given me any trouble for years but I got down about all my time I was spending on it.

I had a MK1 C*X, a gem, but parts availability was a sod so I decided to shift it on, the new owner uses it everyday and it hasnt missed a beat.

My Mk2 8V looked great and went bloody well when I sold it, I had one e-mail from the chap a month after he bought it saying it was a great car, he's enjoying it and its not missed a beat. Another I slaved over and got the A£se and sold so I never really enjoyed it.

My current water pumper is nearly finished, and its a keeper, I've learnt by my mistakes, now its up to scratch and I've spent the wonga and time on it, I'm not selling it so some other person can get a near perfect and reliable car.

The Mk3 Gti we get next will be gone through and kept.

Like my old dad says, better the devil you know. Your next car could be worse, and you have no idea whats been done and to what standard.

Stu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27 2008, 03:31

Knighty wrote:
Dude,

I have been where you are many many times. I may use a few dirty words as my other obsession is old skool *ahem* H*ndas.

My point is that I have rebuilt a few cars and each one has been 'the last bloody project' but whenever I sell one I regret it almost immediately.

A 92 4 door sleeper of a c*v*c, koni adjustables, race exhaust and seriously shifted, I got fed up with the silly little things it needed and got shot, and regretted it as soon as the new owner hit the limiter down my road. It was close to mint and wouldnt have given me any trouble for years but I got down about all my time I was spending on it.

I had a MK1 C*X, a gem, but parts availability was a sod so I decided to shift it on, the new owner uses it everyday and it hasnt missed a beat.

My Mk2 8V looked great and went bloody well when I sold it, I had one e-mail from the chap a month after he bought it saying it was a great car, he's enjoying it and its not missed a beat. Another I slaved over and got the A£se and sold so I never really enjoyed it.

My current water pumper is nearly finished, and its a keeper, I've learnt by my mistakes, now its up to scratch and I've spent the wonga and time on it, I'm not selling it so some other person can get a near perfect and reliable car.

The Mk3 Gti we get next will be gone through and kept.

Like my old dad says, better the devil you know. Your next car could be worse, and you have no idea whats been done and to what standard.

Stu

cheers dude! Definantly not selling mine, keeping it for sure!
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27 2008, 08:52

When i bought my car, even though so much work had been done already by the previous owner, i still spent £400 on all new belts for the engine. every one was changed, some needed doing, but others were just for piece of mind.

Other than it has only been 2 new bumpers, (front and back), paint costs and other general things, like the headlamps smashing in the sunshine..... haha

u gotta love the old cars though. just so much more roar than the newness!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27 2008, 10:53

yer man for sure, new cars just lack that Soul and to me in some cases character.

old dubs have alot of character and a damn load of soul, period.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30 2008, 16:20

Its more a way of life!... look at the dub scene! its worldwide... old skl, new wave, retro.... all mixin it up together... to form a scene second to none!... the beauty is you can do what you want with your own car! theres no pressure! Dubsy,s valver is as OEM as you can get it.... yet DubDread,s car changes everyweek.... there all loved by hardened dubbers like us lot in this club...... Period!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31 2008, 01:46

vr6brew wrote:
Its more a way of life!... look at the dub scene! its worldwide... old skl, new wave, retro.... all mixin it up together... to form a scene second to none!... the beauty is you can do what you want with your own car! theres no pressure! Dubsy,s valver is as OEM as you can get it.... yet DubDread,s car changes everyweek.... there all loved by hardened dubbers like us lot in this club...... Period!

word up! you know this.

Decided im going to start looking at getting myself a 2.0 bottom end (9A)

and obviously get this noise sorted, kinda got a feeling its the small end! hence why im looking into 2.0 bottom ends!

looks like Dubsy's going siiick Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31 2008, 02:52

Small end? If you were a proper man you would have big end problems. Laughing
The 2.0l bottom end swap is well documented and as long as you have the space, the job should be easy enough just don't do it on a hill.
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31 2008, 03:04

Or on rough ground, a engine and gearbox combo falling from half height isnt a good feeling!

Mind you Golf gearbox casings are strong. Concrete floor 0 - VW gearbox 1
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31 2008, 04:59

Oh that brings back bad memories. Sad
Back to top Go down
Kayleigh
Nomad
Nomad
Kayleigh

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31 2008, 05:22

can i ask a thicko question.............. what does OEM mean?? scratch
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31 2008, 05:58

Original Equipment Manufacturer, in this case it is used to refer to having the original parts and therefore not modified.
Or means buying the expensive option not the cheap option which will fall apart and break really quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Obsessions with cars.   Our Obsessions with cars. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our Obsessions with cars.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next