Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Home paint job

Go down 
+5
dapperdan
Fitzy
spooner
D.A.M IT!
dubdom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2008, 05:00

My mates golf is looking a bit fooked paint wise, laquer peel etc and just old! We are thinking of doing a home paint job in matt blue. should look good, but what is the easiest and cheapest way of doing it. And how??? like wha preperation do we do?

Roller and paint?

Rattle cans?

Basically who has done it and whats the best way to do it.

Cheers,

Dom
Back to top Go down
D.A.M IT!
D.A.M IT!

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2008, 05:21

if u want a cheep paint job it dosnt get cheeper than this

$50 paintjob
Back to top Go down

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2008, 05:28

phucking hell!!!!
Back to top Go down
spooner
Nomad
Nomad

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2008, 08:37

if you roller you dont need to mask at all, key paint with scotch pads de-grese with panel wipe and start painting
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2008, 15:16

definatly roller it!!, much mofre even coat, but Spooner and Mr dread are the best 2 chat with about the cheap paint option!
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2008, 15:19

what are my cheap paint options then guys
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeMon May 12 2008, 05:17

personnally i rate 'hicote' spray paint available at apsley motorspares, i believe they do a blue?£4 a can youe will need at least 6 cans depends how good you are witha can

if you wanta specific colour then you gonna have to get it made up at halfords not sure what they charge per can but can be done(bad pun!)

i rollered my matt black but went over with spray it was wicks direct to metal matt black

to get a good matt just rubb athe colur back with scotchbrite

the most inportant thing is to degrease the whole car , washing up liquid and scotchbrite i went over mine with palm sander as well
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 13:48

Fair play to that link! one lovely job!
Back to top Go down
L0WRiDE
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
L0WRiDE

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14 2009, 06:11

i rollered mine, and well with a bit of work it dont look too bad really, if u want dom give me a shout all ill drive up and show ya mate
Back to top Go down
http://www.thrashed-racing.co.uk
Doug
Nomad
Nomad
Doug

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2009, 18:46

My mate had an old mk2 with a 16v lump in it. We got bored one weekend and the paint was knackered. Hit it with some nitromours which didnt really work too well due to cost + amounts required. We also tried brake fluid which believe it or not did pretty much b**ger all!!

Ended up just sanding it down with a rough grit paper taping up the windows and cracking on with the primer. The look he went for was just primer grey with black bonnet and roof, which looked pretty rat.

Anyway the mk2 was just primer and we used 13 cans to do 2 coats on the whole car and even with this much paint the rust was still coming through the primer after 4 days so we had to keep touching it up.

To the point 13 x £6.99 = not pretty when thats just the primer cost.

It was a great laugh but didnt turn out too well and definatley wasn't cheap or good!!

Best of luck though mate Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Email: Tanilba@Hotmail.Co.Uk
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03 2009, 09:55

i want to do a D.I.Y paint job on my polo, want to do it matt white or white but i dont have room anywere to do it and i would be pretty usless at it
Back to top Go down
Doug
Nomad
Nomad
Doug

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 05:27

Well we did it on my mates drive in a weekend so you really dont need much space or for long. As for the spraying its a piece of piss if spraying a matt as long as you dont get runs in it and tape it up properly.

Just remebered i had a mate with a BMW who wanted it matt black - into the whole drifting thing and wanted something that would be "different" :s anyway he got 8 of his mates to meet him in tescos hatfield car park and one night sanded the car down and sprayed it. They started at 8PM and left at 2AM with the car fully done. The only thing is make sure you get a dry night hey Razz Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Email: Tanilba@Hotmail.Co.Uk
Sponsored content

Home paint job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home paint job   Home paint job I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home paint job
Page 1 of 1