Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My matt paint mk3 polo project

Go down 
+8
SuperMario
Knighty
vr6brew
PremiumVeeDub
Bazza
Fitzy
dapperdan
Bowmanjo
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

My matt paint mk3 polo project Empty
PostSubject: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2009, 07:58

Ok, as I'm new I thought I'd show you all the many phases my car has been through,
some more ridiculous than others!
(Although in hindsight, I really wish I'd just kept it red, but it's my first car, and you live and learn!)

Ok, I haven't got any pictures with me when it was red, but you all know what a red mk3 polo looks like anyway!

-So after a few months of being boggo standard the first thing I did was sprayed it 'Shock Green Light....'
The name speaks for itself, I managed to find a set of homemade coilovers for it in Berkshire
(I'm based in Suffolk when not at uni, so a fair old trek!)-

My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT2266
My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT2260
My matt paint mk3 polo project N829870530_3491769_5377
My matt paint mk3 polo project N829870530_3491770_5672

I really liked it like this at first, however it did get a bit tiresome after a while, as it was SO obnoxious!

I decided that I wanted to paint it red oxide, as it would then be a little more subtle,
so I found a huge tin of red oxide boat primer on ebay for a bargain price, and snapped it up.
I then set about rollering (YES rollering....) it on.
This was a low point in the cars time! It was less 'red oxide', and more 'poo brown...'

My matt paint mk3 polo project BILD0846
My matt paint mk3 polo project BILD0654

The green bits were due to turn orange at some point, however I lost interest for a bit due to lack of funds;
both front dampers in my coilovers gave up the ghost. So I worked a bit of overtime
and gathered some money, and decided that I'd run gas shocks and springs, as it's less to go wrong.
So ordered a budget 80/60 kit, with the intention of fitting just the fronts and keeping my rear coilovers on
(these are intended for a mk1 golf but fit fine apart from with them wound right to the top it's an 80mm drop!)
As the brown looked so awful I thought I would surrender and do the thing I said I never would.... Matt black it affraid

I had always said it would be a last resort for if I ruined the car to the point I had now done!
So I bought some blackboard paint, and decided that the least I could do is chequer the roof orange,
just to identify it from every other matt black motor out there.
If I'm honest I am rather happy with how it turned out, despite the fact that I felt a bit like I had
cheated myself on the originality stakes.

My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC_0449
My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC_0451
My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC_0460

The next step was alloys, picked up some 'rocco scala rims for £5 on ebay, not in the best of nick,
but I'm just gonna run them as they are, and prep them and paint them anthracite once
the weather picks up a bit.
They scrub a bit at the moment, but I'm gonna home-flare the arches with the pole-jam technique,
since I don't have to worry about paint cos I can just whip the roller out again!

My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT2976
My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT2977
My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT2981

And finally the latest development, my exhaust was causing no end of problems,
the stick hangers on the polo were not really up to the task with a harder than standard ride,
and after running out of cable ties halfway back to uni, I had to call the RAC out and he tied it up with wire.
I decided it wasn't moving anywhere until the exhaust was sorted.

My dad said that I should get a stainless, as I needed a new system from the cat-back as the system
was so damaged from being dragged along the ground, and it wouldn't be much more than getting a
standard system once you sub labour in etc.
He also kindly said he'd put up £100 towards it!

Went to 'Top Gear' in St. Albans, the car got quite a few laughs and odd looks, but
generally went down surprisingly well! I asked them to make it fairly quiet, and I'm glad I did,
cos it's still fairly loud, but not ridiculous, so I am very happy with it!

My matt paint mk3 polo project BILD0900
My matt paint mk3 polo project BILD0901

I went for an outswept mk1 golf style tip, as I hadn't seen this done on a polo before.
Sadly as the car is '94 I had to keep the cat. so I haven't really seen much of a power increase,
maybe slightly more responsive to the throttle, got a load of GT bits to go on, hoping to make 65bhp,
as I'll be converting to multi-point, new cam, ecu and throttle body, plus making it breathe a bit better.

Loads more plans in the pipeline, but I'll keep you updated as they materialise!
Let me know what you think, and I'll hopefully see you at the meets!

Last edited by Fitzy on Mon Mar 02 2009, 12:12; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : layout altered as difficult to read)
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2009, 09:35

i LUUUUUV it man you just got right in there

i like the POO phase best

i have a similar cavilier attitude chech my "pics of the ratt" thread
are you going UD?

rocco alloys!!1
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2009, 12:15

i think we have a young apprentice for Dubdread!!!

Love the polo, nice to see someone else 'putting themselves out there'!
you can just as much attention on a budget than u can on a 30k show car -

Its what nomads are about............NO boundries!!!

Well done
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2009, 14:37

Putting yourself out there, that's what Nomads are all about.
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2009, 15:09

I really like this..

I'll come round and nick your cat for you Smile
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2009, 21:12

lol, can you wait until after my mot in April please PremiumVeeDub? Razz

Cheers for the warm welcome, I'm really looking forward to the weekend now. Should be bringing my mate on sunday who's a motorsport student, provided he can get up in time!
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2009, 00:21

Bowmanjo wrote:
lol, can you wait until after my mot in April please PremiumVeeDub? Razz

Cheers for the warm welcome, I'm really looking forward to the weekend now. Should be bringing my mate on sunday who's a motorsport student, provided he can get up in time!

is he based at 'ceme' in dagenham?? (thames gateway motorsport college).........a good friend of mine is their lecturer, i kno a few of the students there (check out the photos of the rally event i did with them in the photo section)

click hereVVVVV
https://nomads.canadian-forum.com/videos-and-photos-f9/tgc-motorsport-rally-woodbridge-stages-t1486.htm?sid=4da08001eb817fb15575be8c80dffcf9

Last edited by Fitzy on Tue Mar 03 2009, 04:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2009, 04:37

Nah, he's a fellow university of herts student, he's a mini man, but he's got great appreciation for pretty much anything that's been well engineered, or indeed over-engineered!
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2009, 04:45

as long as he is good at taking pictures thats all that matters!
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03 2009, 08:35

Ooo i liked the green in the 1st pics.. so cool! nice ride dude!
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26 2009, 19:17

Ok, not an update to the car as such, but there's a change in overall direction with the car that I think you'll all like- think berg cup cars- but sh*tty. I give you the 'Sh*tty Berg' Here's some sketches that I knocked up one night of how I want it to look-
My matt paint mk3 polo project Scan

And since the berg cup cars are rev happy small engines; I decided I needed a small, rev happy engine. So I bought this-
My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT3310

Rebuilt 1.3 HK block with balanced crankshaft & conrods (mechanical head=higher revs... possibly looking at double valve springs in the fufutre) on these-
My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT3311
My matt paint mk3 polo project PICT3312

Kawasaki Ninja bike carbs. jetted by the Bogg Brothers. Should be a screamer. Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Knighty
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27 2009, 02:11

Bike Carbs!

keep the updates coming dude, I'm looking at the bike carb 16v route for my new Mk2 eventually. But its all new to me.

Stu
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27 2009, 02:42

YESS MATE , the 'sh*t berg'

you gonna have to get box arches or roll em right out and some dished wheels

ooooooooooh

keep it comin you crazy hippy!
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27 2009, 05:52

good lad i like where ur goin with it!!
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27 2009, 06:36

Cheers guys, student loan should have arrived today Very Happy

-so I'm looking at gt gearbox & g40 vented brakes, just to get the rest of the running gear slightly upgraded while everything is out.

Was hoping to either find some fibreglass arches for another car that will fit my Polo arches, or get some made up out of sheet metal, either way they are gonna be rivetted over some silly offset wide wheels (thinking starmags @ 13x7 et 6....) and I've already got some hub spacers to go on the rear.

Dubdread, the scaffold pole came out for the front arches, they are a wee bit mishapen due to rusty bits bending unpredictably, but no scrubbage now, and it's not exactly a car that I'm bothered about the bodywork with!
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27 2009, 10:28

Looked so good in green lol, were did you get that zorst from?? i love it!!
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2009, 01:41

Yer I did love the green, but I decided that it was just too lairy!

Got the exhaust from Top Gear St. Albans, I wanted something a bit different that I hadn't seen on a Polo before, so I showed them a pic of a Mk1 golf with a sideswept one, and that is the result. I'm pretty impressed with it too, I asked them to not really be able to hear it below 3000, and that's exactly what they did!
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2009, 02:35

Dubdread, the scaffold pole came out for the front arches, they are a wee bit mishapen due to rusty bits bending unpredictably, but no scrubbage now, and it's not exactly a car that I'm bothered about the bodywork with![/quote]

YEAH they bend funny on rust or around the holes for the rivets, and its better than cutting away coz you maintain some strength

i think you could stretch the arches out, stay metal!
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06 2009, 09:00

Picked up some new rimmage t'other day-
My matt paint mk3 polo project Picture135

And photoshopped them onto the 'lo with a couple of other bits that are in the pipeline: tow hook, more flaring on the arches & white bg for race number (the bumpstrips have already gone)

My matt paint mk3 polo project Mypolo-archworkfondmetalcopy

Also G40 calipers and carriers arrived today, and have a source for vented, drilled and grooved discs for a reasonable price! Just gotta get a job now I'm back from uni... Fun.
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07 2009, 09:51

i shouldnt but i like!!
Back to top Go down
Bowmanjo
Bowmanjo

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 13:02

Alrite fellas, it's been a while! I'll be back up in Hatfield soon though, so attending meets when I am.

Engine is still not in, but I have been slowly assembling parts, and it should be in in the next month or so! Will be basically renewing the entire running gear; to go in I've got-

The new engine (HK, mk2 polo) with balanced crank pistons and conrods, full rebuild 10 miles ago, carbs from a Kawasaki Ninja, jetted to suit

Polo Gt gearbox (5 spd short-ish ratios)

G40 calipers &carriers, with vented, drilled and grooved discs, goodridge braided hoses, 22.2mm Passat master cylinder & Black diamond pads

Also finally got the new wheels shod and fitted (with Pirelli P6000s.... AMAZING FUN!)

Anyway, these aren't the best pictures but just to give you an idea and to get some comments Wink
My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC00405
My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC00407
My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC00408
My matt paint mk3 polo project DSC00409
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 14:23

getting there slowly fella..........well done so far!! lookin good!
Back to top Go down
minty "TIMMY"
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
minty

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2009, 14:38

good to see you back dude,cars still looking sweet.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2009, 06:23

Nice work dude... look forward to seeing this soon! love those wheels...
Back to top Go down
dubdom
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2009, 12:54

Nice car dude looks good. Just wondering what course your doing? I'm heading up in September to start motorsport course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My matt paint mk3 polo project   My matt paint mk3 polo project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My matt paint mk3 polo project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next