Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

help with a computer!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

help with a computer! Empty
PostSubject: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2008, 12:22

hey all! just got a new Dell computer set up. But now instead of XP it's Vista. I have some games that i want to install. but when i have, the game fires up, then immediately cuts out and a message says that the program needs to be shut down. I guess this is due to the game only working on XP computers?

I know there is a way in the settings of the game (any game) to make them run on the Vista. Anyone know?? study
Back to top Go down
beemer

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2008, 13:18

compatibility mode here
Back to top Go down
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
Kayleigh
Nomad
Nomad
Kayleigh

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03 2008, 15:02

cali is the one to ask!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 04:20

No, don't ask me. I hate vista. Mad
Beemer is right, you should be able to set the program to run in compatibility mode. Have a search on the net for the game and the problem too as you might find a step by step to get it working.
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 06:14

Ok. will try and see.
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 09:18

Right. Major issue!!

Just been a bought a brand new PC game just released! says on back for Vista! Installed it. and the same thing happens, where the message says that the program has stopped working.............what the hell?!
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05 2008, 14:46

After agessss on the phone to Dell, what the lady told me do, still it didn't work!

So off i went deep into the interweb, and updated and upgraded, dell gear and microsoft gear and now the games work! thank god!

U would think from paying over £700 for a pc, it should play games without all this hassle.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06 2008, 02:29

Ah, yes I would but that is why I bought a Mac. Dell make PC out of parts from loads of manufactures. Then they install Vista from MS and that doesn't understand so other programs are created to make the whole thing sit together and sort of work properly but things are found out about later and have to be patched.
The Mac approach comes from the other end, let the manufacture also write the OS so all the hardware is optimised. However it does tie you into an OS and hardware which for some is a problem as they want to change things.

However, I am very glad you have it sorted and I don't have to think about Vista any more. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07 2008, 15:36

lol!

Traitor!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help with a computer!   help with a computer! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help with a computer!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nomads VW :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: