Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

2011 MOT changes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
D.A.M IT!
D.A.M IT!

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10 2011, 16:12

I've heard for a while that in 2011 there will be changes in the MOT which will make chipped ecu's and all after-market HID kits illegal.
Its been quoted on quite a number of car sites. So I decided to try to track down where this originaly came from and I think its from wrecks2riches.co.uk but I may be wrong.....

Taken from wrecks2riches.co.uk
Quote :
2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

EDIT: Received few comments about the link not working/containing the right info..

The above was confirmed in the October 2010 VOSA newsletter. Which can be viewed as a PDF from their website. Link below, see page 8 for details.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2048%20-%20Oct%202010.pdf

I was a bit concerned by this especialy as I'm thinking of buying Marty's modded VR soon. I've had a good long look at anything to do with this on the tinterweb including the VOSA site and numerous other sites, some official and some car club sites
I can say with confidence that there's NO official mention of bringing in a RfR (Reason for Rejection) on chipped ecu's in 2011!!!!!!! and if you speak to any MOT tester they will know nothing about this change to the 2011 test

there is talk though of bringing in a way of doing this at some point, to bring it in line with some other EU countries. But as yet they dont know a simple and quick way of doing this so dont expect this to be part of the MOT anytime soon Smile

This is the only mention in the VOSA newsletter about these changes, which is actually on Page 9
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2048%20-%20Oct%202010.pdf
Quote :

Other items – such as headlamp
bulb and unit incompatibility,
headlamp levelling devices and
illegal engine ‘chipping’ – will need
further thought before we can get
a workable solution for MOT
stations.
Some of the new items may
require extra effort on the part of
the tester – when we know for
sure what that is we’ll be talking
again with our trade and DfT
colleagues to work out what the
impact will be

HID lights aren't necessarily an automatic MOT failure!!! as long as they aren't too bright have a correct beam pattern (which can be a prob with some kits) and are at the correct height

Hope this info helps clear up this scaremungering that's been going about...

a little info is a dangerous thing Surprised

Last edited by D.A.M IT! on Tue Jan 11 2011, 13:36; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10 2011, 23:41

Thanks for the info. As you say the scaremongering can take over for a while before some can point out why the story probably is entirely true. Glad we got to the end first. Laughing

Now I wonder what they consider to be illegal engine chipping that they will consider dealing with later? Is chipping the same as remapping? More investigation is required, I will let people know if I find anything.
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11 2011, 00:45

I read this a month or so ago....interesting update Doug. Smile I would also like to know the difference between chipped and remapped cars.
Back to top Go down
http://stephanie.routledge@hotmail.co.uk
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11 2011, 09:41

i think i read this a while ago, seems just to be about getting people with 'bovy' hid kits that they've bought of the market for a coupld of quid.
hopefully its not too bad neway.
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12 2011, 10:53

sorry but think alot of that is boll**** espeacilly the ecu.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12 2011, 12:11

Musto, can you define what you mean by your comment as I am unsure if you think the information being given is bad or that the talk from VOSA that they you disagree with.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
D.A.M IT!
D.A.M IT!

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12 2011, 17:00

LOL Musto I think you might need to read the thread again Smile

Love your diplomatic reply by the way cali Wink
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12 2011, 23:48

Ah you know me, I really hate internet spouted rubbish and you were doing the good fight. I wanted to know if Musto was in support of the good fight. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16 2011, 09:53

basicilly cali i dont think any of the above will come into the mot! for starters a mot tester isnt aloud to remove anythink from the car! so how is he going to pull out my ashtray to get to the diagnosics plug! cant even remove a wheel trim to see if theres 4 bolts in! put a plastic cover a hole in your floor and it will pass! not sayin i do that but its possable! i just think the infomation is a myth! but hey if it happens then i invite you all to slap me in the face!!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16 2011, 11:06

Totally agree with you and it sounds like you were agreeing with D.A.M I.T who was saying the same thing, that there is little evidence of VOSA being able to test for chipped/mapped ECU's.
Back to top Go down
D.A.M IT!
D.A.M IT!

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17 2011, 16:29

Musto wrote:
i just think the infomation is a myth!

this is the whole point of my thread! this fictitious information is on a number of car club sites and i just wanted to set the record straight on this mis-information

so I'll say it again THERE WILL BE NO CHANGE TO THE 2011 MOT TO MAKE CHIPPED ECU's AND HID LIGHTS AN AUTOMATIC RfR!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2011 MOT changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2011 MOT changes   2011 MOT changes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2011 MOT changes
Page 1 of 1