Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. Empty
PostSubject: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02 2008, 14:59

HAYNES' MANUAL - THE REAL MEANINGS

For those of us that have ever used a Haynes Manual in attempting home maintenance of a car.
For those who have not used a Haynes Manual, these are the books aimed at car-owners who want to fix their own cars and which keep qualified mechanics in paid employment putting things right afterwards.
They are chock full of photos, diagrams and step-by-step instructions which are obvious if you are a fully qualified motor mechanic, but which are frighteningly sparse on detail for the average Joe in the street who wants to change a set of spark plugs on a 1981 VW Polo ....

Haynes: Rotate anticlockwise.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips (adjustable wrench) then beat repeatedly with hammer anticlockwise. You do know which way is anticlockwise, don't you?

Haynes: Should remove easily.
Translation: Will be corroded into place ... clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles! ... Clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: This is a tight fit.
Translation: Not a hope in hell matey! ... Clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: As described in Chapter 7...
Translation: That'll teach you not to read through before you start; now you are looking at scary photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Haynes: Pry...
Translation: Hammer a screwdriver into...

Haynes: Undo...
Translation: Go buy a tin of WD40 (catering size).

Haynes: Ease ...
Translation: Apply superhuman strength to ...

Haynes: Retain tiny spring...
Translation: "Jeez what was that, it nearly had my eye out"!

Haynes: Press and rotate to remove bulb...
Translation: OK - that's the glass bit off, now fetch some good pliers to dig out the bayonet part and remaining glass shards.

Haynes: Lightly...
Translation: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead are throbbing then re-check the manual because what you are doing now cannot be considered "lightly".

Haynes: Weekly checks...
Translation: If it isn't broken don't fix it!

Haynes: Routine maintenance...
Translation: If it isn't broken... it's about to be!
Haynes: One spanner rating (simple).
Translation: Your Mum could do this... so how did you manage to botch it up?

Haynes: Two spanner rating.
Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, tiny, ikkle number... but you also thought that the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Haynes: Three spanner rating (intermediate).
Translation: Make sure you won't need your car for a couple of days and that your AA cover includes Home Start.

Haynes: Four spanner rating.
Translation: You are seriously considering this aren't you, you pleb!

Haynes: Five spanner rating (expert).
Translation: OK - but don't expect us to ride it afterwards!!!
Translation #2: Don't ever carry your loved ones in it again and don't mention it to your insurance company.

Haynes: If not, you can fabricate your own special tool like this...
Translation: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Haynes: Compress...
Translation: Squeeze with all your might, jump up and down on, swear at, throw at the garage wall, then search for it in the dark corner of the garage whilst muttering "******" repeatedly under your breath.

Haynes: Inspect...
Translation: Squint at really hard and pretend you know what you are looking at, then declare in a loud knowing voice to your wife "Yep, as I thought, it's going to need a new one"!

Haynes: Carefully...
Translation: You are about to cut yourself!

Haynes: Retaining nut...
Translation: Yes, that's it, that big spherical blob of rust.

Haynes: Get an assistant...
Translation: Prepare to humiliate yourself in front of someone you know.

Haynes: Turning the engine will be easier with the spark plugs removed.
Translation: However, starting the engine afterwards will be much harder. Once that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach has subsided, you can start to feel deeply ashamed as you gingerly refit the spark plugs.

Haynes: Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal.
Translation: But you swear in different places.

Haynes: Prise away plastic locating pegs...
Translation: Snap off...

Haynes: Using a suitable drift or pin-punch...
Translation: The biggest nail in your tool box isn't a suitable drift!

Haynes: Everyday toolkit
Translation: Ensure you have an RAC Card & Mobile Phone

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Placing your mouth near it and huffing isn't moderate heat.
Translation #2: Heat up until glowing red, if it still doesn't come undone use a hacksaw.

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Unless you have a blast furnace, don't bother. Clamp with adjustable wrench then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: Index
Translation: List of all the things in the book bar the thing you want to do!

Haynes: Remove oil filter using an oil filter chain wrench or length of bicycle chain.
Translation: Stick a screwdriver through it and beat handle repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: Replace old gasket with a new one.
Translation: I know I've got a tube of Crazy Glue around here somewhere.

Haynes: Grease well before refitting.
Translation: Spend an hour searching for your tub of grease before chancing upon a bottle of washing-up liquid (dish soap). Wipe some congealed washing up liquid from the dispenser nozzle and use that since it's got a similar texture and will probably get you to Halfords to buy some Castrol grease.

Haynes: See illustration for details
Translation: None of the illustrations notes will match the pictured exploded, numbered parts. The unit illustrated is from a previous or variant model. The actual location of the unit is never given. The best one I encountered was how to change a brake sensor in a Ford Fiesta Popular Plus. The photo showing the location of the unit failed to mention the crucial detail of whether the item was located in the engine compartment or inside the car ..... and the helpful photo of what the thing looked like didn't give the reader any clues!
Back to top Go down
http://stephanie.routledge@hotmail.co.uk
GTi-Jay
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
GTi-Jay

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02 2008, 16:16

Good one steph.
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03 2008, 01:58

GO steph, heheheh you can't beat Haynes comic book of lies! All I use it for is the torque ratings for nuts and bolts! hehehe.
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03 2008, 04:19

This killed me, comical but true lol!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03 2008, 04:21

I buy them like the are collector cards, they are increasingly becoming useless for all the reasons mentioned above.

'See fig 1.1', OK but what the hell is fig 1.1 showing me and where is it ffs??
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03 2008, 04:24

Calimori wrote:
I buy them like the are collector cards, they are increasingly becoming useless for all the reasons mentioned above.

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 03 2008, 05:21

Calimori wrote:

Ohh man have I been dow that road!

hehehehe I would rather spend the money on books writen by independent authors hehehehe. Like I said I ues them for the torque settings hehehehe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..   The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Haynes Manual translated...FLOL..
Page 1 of 1