Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

coilover help

Go down 
+6
Calimori
vr6brew
vwdeviant
Dashworth
SuperMario
Ginger
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 13:17

hey just wanted to know if i was to get these just for now till i have the funds to get better ones
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190362901418&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2776wt_1165

what else would i need to get and from where i want it done like yesterday..??

Thanks

Ginger. What a Face
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 13:27

Should come as a complete set mate, no need for anythink else, some people like to get fresh set of top mounts tho.
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 13:29

thanks you matey. i hope they come for the weekend. Smile
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 13:34

No prob Very Happy just make sure you grease them up when you put em on as they are a "budget" coilever and most proberly seize before you put the wheel back on!
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 13:48

oh ok.!
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 16:56

as long as they are in no way related to 'hottunning' coilies they might last you more than a day. seriously though buddy, do some research before you buy coilies... 9 outa 10 times the budget ones are gash... look at some forums... might give you an idea of what to expect.
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28 2010, 01:49

My advice, Save your money, look like Hot-tuning ones, don't even have TUV approval! ... plus you'll be£160 closer to a decent set of say KW's..

Think about it.. £160 means what £40/corner keeping you and your loved ones from the nearest ditch/tree/hedge/lampost/bus queue...

The old maxim applys here.. buy cheap pay twice...

When you do come to do it though budget in new (get VAG, NOT GSF/ECP-they make them out of toffee) topmounts, plus have a good look at what else could break and factor replacing that in too... (arb mounts etc) Infact replace as much as you can in one go... coilovers are great but only if the rest of the package (bushes etc) is up to scratch...
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28 2010, 14:50

ok saving it is.!
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29 2010, 08:37

Hey Ginge think the dress up is good on these but if they were as good as the spec says then i would expect to pay more and like Deviant said they have no TUV app on them... save about £400 and look at brands like FK or Weitec even Supersport would be better.... be careful tho as some of these only lower 60mm or so.... FK`highsports go down to 120mm all round check FK highsports.... good coilys for the money.... got some for pinkys tt and they very good but they were £440 from Voodoo in bovingdon!
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29 2010, 18:22

thanks mate. is there a thred on her with face's to names if not i think we need one coz i still dont know who is who..???
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2010, 01:46

I paid my money and got some good ones, GAZ GHA's. A year later and they still look good without signs of corrosion.
They are not as low as they can go but I don't think they will go much lower at the rear, the rears are seperate dampeners to springs. If I was to go much lower, I would never get over the speed bumps in my estate.

I thought my top mounts were from VW but they lasted 10 months, so maybe they were from Eurocarparts. I had to replace them last week and they were heavily compressed. New VW parts look much better.

It can be a pig of a job to get the old ones off.. Save your money, buy some good ones.
Back to top Go down
gtipie

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2010, 10:05

Had AVO Coilovers on my mk2 VR6 - I thought they were great, and when they get old AVO do a fast rebuild service, that's cheap too!

Got cheapo JOMs on Steph's Polo, they are ok.......TUV approved, and appear fairly well made, but don't ride great - in the end of the day, a 1.4 8v Polo ain't a high performance motor!!!! You get what you pay for! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 30 2010, 12:20

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamex-VW-Golf-MK4-Coilovers-Lowering-Suspension-Kit_W0QQitemZ110438767528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b6a9dba8#ht_3177wt_1165
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
SuperMario
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
SuperMario

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2010, 11:10

£200 coilover = All the comfort of a pogo stick, with the handling of a office chair!!
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2010, 12:26

no then. Smile
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2010, 15:09

Just Ring G-Werks and see what a set of KW's will set you back...
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01 2010, 16:17

http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/coilover/products.php?vid=678

Sad
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2010, 00:48

agree with deviant.............if u replace with coilovers - be prepared for the rest of ur suspension set-up to get a hammering

Once i slammed the bora i destroyed my front lower arm bushes within 6 months! - so get urself some powerflex ones and get them fitted at the same time

look out for ARB and bushes and also u will need some uprated rear beam bushes too

Very boring to buy and fit! but it will be worth it AND- they will transform ur cars handling!
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2010, 01:58

cheers Matt and I agree on something! Laughing

Give G-werks a call they're really good on pricing... managed to get the KW-1's for the Rado for a good £150 less than "internest adverts"

However bear in mind that the pound is taking a hammering from the Euro ATM so prices will be higher... but will be the best £££ you ever spend, promise... I went from a -60mm spring/shocks combo to the KW's (set at the same height due to speed humps where we lived) and my Favorite corner off the M25 onto the M11-south was instantly taken at 15mph faster! I was able to overtake much more expensive, M-badged german metal there...

Once you have done that though be prepared to look into a brake upgrade too, being able to sling it into a corner outbraking much more expensive machinery is addictive!
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
Ginger

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2010, 02:39

This sounds like fun.! Smile
Back to top Go down
luckystrike
luckystrike

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2010, 04:34

I normally sing the praises of budget coilovers as the default opinion tends to be "avoid like the plague", but given you're looking at fitting them to a leon I think I'd probably do as above and save for some decent ones. With the hottuning jobbies they've used 2 suppliers previously - raceland who are terrible, might as well weld iron bars in; and TA technix, who are actually pretty good. My technix ride ok, but they have siezed quickly so in that respect you get what you pay for.

I'm driving an 800kg ancient box though, so I take the sacrifices as part of the charm of the car - if I were driving something vaguely modern I'd feel like I'd skimped. £200 coilies on a £200 car's cool, £200 coilies on a £5k car maybe isn't Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.no-rice.co.uk
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2010, 04:35

i agree with everything said above

its the bits you dont change that break,

and you get what you pay for
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03 2010, 10:06

Hey Ginge this sounds very confusing but we at the nomads can help..... as said above go for some proper coilys.... and new top mounts allround! if you wanted to keep things local give VOODOO a ring they will supply and fit and they are very good people who know what they are doing.... they got stephs TT coilys for £440 and said they would fit them for £50 which is a bargain! altho i fitted them myself... if you want you can say steve recommended you... they are top people plus you`d be helping a local buisness!

Voodoo motorsport.... based in Bovingdon

give em a call on 01442 831807
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

coilover help Empty
PostSubject: Re: coilover help   coilover help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

coilover help
Page 1 of 1