Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MK2 Golf GTi

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2009, 03:14

hello lads ive been offered a straight swap with a 1.8 MK2 Golf GTi 16v black with big bumpers and G60 arches for a swap with my 1.4 16v Polo.

i was just wondering what sort of stuff do i need to look out for?

thanks Smile
Back to top Go down

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2009, 04:09

hi mate.

i would just look over it, also check all service history, also just have a visual on the K-Jet (spider on the airbox) check there no weaping bits off the banjos also checking the braided hoses from it (fuel). what milage is it on? make sure it hasnt got any siezed or leaky rear calipers. give it or make him take you out in it, check its not smokey, no blue or white smoke (get a bit of white smoke when its kinda cold, not excessive) check underneath, sills etc. no crunchy gearbox or whinning.
also, valvers do like to run very hot comared to 8v GTi's. check it doesnt run excessivly hot or actually over heat, haha.

gotta go, boss is back Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2009, 10:45

yeah definat;y look for crunching in 2nd gear - very common and can cost a bit to get fixed!
Back to top Go down
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2009, 16:57

spoke to my mates brother today and had a proper look over it. seems that its a GTi but has had a Corrado 16v KR lump put in and its done 80k, the K-Jet needs a new sil as it was leaking around there, is that a cheap job? needs a CV joint, also needs a fan switch as the slow fan doesnt work and the speedo doesnt work would that just be a speed sensor?

if i dont swap it with him i may just buy it and put it on my drive and do bits and bobs to it get it ready for when i can insure it

its a G reg do they come with rear disc brakes as standard?

thanks for all the info Dubsy
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2009, 00:19

The fan is highly likely the resistor connection block, quite common and easy to fix. The speedo problem could be the clocks so a little more complicated.
I believe they were all disks on the rears by then, my 8v G had then.
G's were the x over from small to big bumpers, you mention it also has G60 arches so it sounds like these parts are possibly bolted on afterwards.
If the price is good, they are great cars to play about with.
Back to top Go down

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2009, 01:22

Good info Cali.

No probs dude, yer should have rear discs mate! When I got mine the fan didn't work, so I stuck a new fan switch on mine and it was sorted.

If you buy it do you mind if I ask how much for...?
Back to top Go down
SheilasWheels
Nomad
Nomad
SheilasWheels

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2009, 04:59

Gsf for the fan switch is pretty good, tell them you belong to a club and you should get 10% off.
Back to top Go down
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2009, 09:04

thanks for all the info lads, i know hes put the G60 arches on himself afterwards just need the skirts now, he said he would spray them up for me if i got them.

how much of a hard job is the K-jet thing if its leaking thats my main problem with it as i dont want it to be a realy big and expensive job.

Dubsy if i buy it he said i can have it for £800 as hes my best mates brother
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2009, 14:02

I use to think 800 was only good if the body work is a complete minter, the rest can be sorted. Prices are odd at the moment so it is difficult to tell, they are 20 years old cars now so expect a lot of parts to need replacing.
However, parts are available and easy enough to fit and with a lot of time and effort they can be made as smart as Dubsy's.
Back to top Go down
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2009, 17:09

body work is quite mint, hes told me about rust under the passenger arches and hes treated them so its alright and if i have any problems with the bodywork he said he would help me out as he has his own bodyshop.

touch wood i dont think much will need to be done on this hopefully, spoke to my insurance and they said it was only going to be abit more on my insurance so might just swap it.

can anyone on here do the free HPI checks on cars? just wanted to have it checked out while i still can

thanks for all the info by the way Smile
Back to top Go down
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21 2009, 17:33

spoke to my insurane and its only going to be abit more on the insurance so going to do a swap with him hopefuly next week or the week after.

going to meet up with him on Sunday hopefully and take it for a drive see how it is make sure its running well.

another thing i wanted to know was when i turned the car over the oil light flashed a few times then went off completly is this normal?

thanks Yasser
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2009, 15:41

Usual for mk2's for the oil light to flash on start up.

Text 'reg' to 83600, it's a good service and a damn site cheaper than a full HPI (it'll let you know if it's a right off, colour change and outstanding stuff on it)
Back to top Go down
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2009, 16:38

nice one bazza i forgot the number for that text check been trying to remember it.
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23 2009, 05:00

Glad to be a helping hand lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MK2 Golf GTi Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf GTi   MK2 Golf GTi I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MK2 Golf GTi
Page 1 of 1