Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Radiator fan not switching off

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

Radiator fan not switching off Empty
PostSubject: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 01:56

Argh

So got back from Stealth and the radiator fan didn't turn off after a couple of hours... Switched off when I unplugged the temp switch in the rad. Had a look and found that the red and white wire to the temp switch had come out of its connector and was bare, so recrimped it.

Still the same. Assumed the wire had shorted so (as I only have a Mk2 fuse diagram, and a Mk3 fuse box) I pulled each fuse and checked them, all good.

So, got a new temp switch from Allparts. Fitted it, fan not coming on any more.

Driving to work this morning the car got pretty warm before the fan kicked in, and then guess what... Doesn't turn off again. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

Any ideas? Looking around it seems that VRs should have twin speed switches, should I go back to allparts and get a proper Bosch switch rather than the Intermotive or whatever it was they had in stock? Seems weird that it should be fixed and then break itself again Sad
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 04:38

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!

no advice , just sympathy

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 04:50

firstly, me, i would use a bosch one. but im picky like that! is it a mk2 golf fan setup? or mk3?
Back to top Go down
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 05:44

Mk3 VR radiator and fans (dual fan setup), yeah, I'd go Bosch too but needed one there and then. Got a Bosch one on order now.

Until then, bonnet up before and after every journey to switch the fan on and off :S

Still got a ways to go with the car, I think....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 06:19

That's cool! Don't worry bout the wagen dude! It will be all sorted before you know it! Niggly little problems are with all of us! Let us know how the new Bosch works....might not be that but still.
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 07:04

Yup Bosh sender will help, also from memory the VR's have a secondary water pump that runs on after shut-down to help cool the rear bank of cylinders... that may also affect the fan settings too?

Maybe... Possibly best grab a mk3 Haynes manual as well?
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2009, 10:06

I think only the Bentle manual covers the vr, do need one of some sort though. New switch is now exactly the same as the old one, ie fan comes on with or without ignition as soon as I plug the switch in.

Next step pucker Bosch one (and a refund from Allparts..)

cheers all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan not switching off   Radiator fan not switching off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radiator fan not switching off
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nomads VW :: General :: Dub Chat-
Jump to: