Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Can I just squash my springs??

Go down 
+5
Gold-mk1
Fitzy
Calimori
looner
PINKY
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

Can I just squash my springs?? Empty
PostSubject: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18 2008, 15:56

I want my springs customised..eg compressed..can steve just stick them in his new
100tn press and squash them down abit??
if not how do you do it..or does anyone know where I could get this done..thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://stephanie.routledge@hotmail.co.uk
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18 2008, 16:11

PINKY wrote:
I want my springs customised..eg compressed..can steve just stick them in his new
100tn press and squash them down abit??
if not how do you do it..or does anyone know where I could get this done..thanks Very Happy

I would rather just buy a set of springs, honestly it will be far easier than trying to retention stock units. Also much safer.
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18 2008, 16:13

I agree, they could all deform at different heights, or it could get nasty and they weaken.
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18 2008, 16:14

i dont think that will work hun?? never heard of that ever??

for all that effort u might as well just get some 40 mm springs..........what r they £50???
Back to top Go down
Gold-mk1
Nomad
Nomad
Gold-mk1

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 00:13

Noooo !

If you really want a cheap option - chop them.

If you want a safer and cheap option - buy a set from GSF ! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.retro-rides.com
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 00:25

Fitzy wrote:
for all that effort u might as well just get some 40 mm springs..........what r they £50???

Like the man said, just buy some lol!
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 03:42

I already have 60mm springs and shocks on it...but its not low enough..especially when I get
15" bbs rs on it.
I cant find colies that go over 70mm and I dont think that will be enough either.
Arrgghh what can I do!!??
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 03:51

PINKY wrote:
I already have 60mm springs and shocks on it...but its not low enough..especially when I get
15" bbs rs on it.
I cant find colies that go over 70mm and I dont think that will be enough either.
Arrgghh what can I do!!??

I think you will be supprised at how low 70mm is. I have seen your car, and it is already pretty low. Looks quite good actualy. What is the size of your current rims?
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 05:24

i would hold off till the wheels are on, your tyre choice will effect ride height also,

another thing i would check how low you can go without steering rack or antiroll bar fouling stuff
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 05:59

DUBDREAD wrote:
i would hold off till the wheels are on, your tyre choice will effect ride height also,

another thing i would check how low you can go without steering rack or antiroll bar fouling stuff

Well said monbrov! exactly what I was getting at, in a rounda bout way! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 07:11

I was about to post that you might start fouling things...
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 07:50

If found a company that makes custom springs for cars so all sorted.
just need to find out the diameter of the springs, the length and the rate...and They just give you smaller ones..eeee!!

My alloys are 16x45x195 and im getting 15"x 45ish x 180?? stretch..or there abouts as I want the euro look. so they need to sit nice in the arches. should be 7.5 on the front and 8.5 on the backs or 7" and 8"..want it staggered.
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 09:03

So basicaly you want the rears sticking out more than the front. It should look good.
I honestly think if you went down 70 mills you would be fine on 15's. Cant wait to see what it looks like. You have to post pics when its all done!
Back to top Go down
spooner
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19 2008, 12:36

coil spring 89 in sheffield will re formyour springs to any profile you like
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 01:07

Good old sheffield. My family is from Yorkshire, from Halifax area. Not to far away.
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 03:33

Yep but it will cost about £760 for 70mm coilies for my 1.2 16v..so it will be alot cheeper buying shorter springs.

My car is 60mm at the mo but the back need to come down another 2" to sit nice on some stretched tyres..so I dont think the 70mm colies will do the trick.
The front isnt too bad..gonna buy them things that lower it another 10mm as that will come up abit when the rear goes down.
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 04:19

Fair play,

I cant wait to see what it looks like when its done! So what time frame are you working to?
In other words when can we look forward to seeing it hehe
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 04:39

Thanks looner Very Happy

Will all be completed before june 22nd as Im going on the stand at the FCS...and
my feature in PFC mag about the same time.
Getting getting retrim, samco hose set, strut brace, chrome relocation pipe, chrome battery cover and chrome coolant bottle by april and the splitties beginning of june as I still have 4 months to pay on my car.
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 04:44

Engine bay should look a bit like this..but better and with red hoses...battery cover..and NO CARBON!!!!!!!!

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1489
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 04:50

PINKY wrote:
Engine bay should look a bit like this..but better and with red hoses...battery cover..and NO CARBON!!!!!!!!

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1489

Schweet!

This is a pic of what my 1.6 polo looked like in the engine bay. I used black silicone hosing to hide all the wires, plus the NOS pipes. Nothing like a good engine bay.

Can I just squash my springs?? DSC00724
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 05:53

Wow..thats well clean! would love to get rid of wires in my engine bay too..was it easy??
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20 2008, 06:02

PINKY wrote:
Wow..thats well clean! would love to get rid of wires in my engine bay too..was it easy??

Yeah not to hard at all. You just need to find a decent silicone hose retailer. then just cut the pipe to suite your needs. It also adds extra protection to the wiring so I never had issues when jet washing the engine bay.
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21 2008, 14:05

Most coilys you buy actually go lower than what they specify...for TUV approval, so maybe the 70mm coilys will go a bit more... tongue
Back to top Go down
looner
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
looner

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2008, 01:32

vr6brew wrote:
Most coilys you buy actually go lower than what they specify...for TUV approval, so maybe the 70mm coilys will go a bit more... tongue

True, the ones I had on my white polo were rated for 70mm but could esily drop down to about 85mils. I just couldn't go that low because I was running 17's.
Back to top Go down
PINKY
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
PINKY

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22 2008, 04:43

But I could spend £750 and get ones that only go to 70mm then im up poop creak without a paddle Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I just squash my springs??   Can I just squash my springs?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can I just squash my springs??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next