Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

engine conversions

Go down 
+8
Bazza
Fitzy
vwdeviant
adzG60
Hemeleon
Calimori
brindle
Dave_H
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2008, 15:15

What would be a rough figure for a 1.8t engine into a mk2 golf ?DO the conversion companys supply the engines or do you have to find one yourself?
Not thinking of any time soon just wondered.
cheers
dave
Back to top Go down
brindle
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
brindle

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2008, 15:49

judging by adams r32 conversion costing £6000
i'd be looking to spend £4500

Is just a guess mind
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 05:15

I think a 1.8 20vT can be done for 2.5k but I forgot who got that done. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Hemeleon

Hemeleon

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 05:26

i paid 4k parts and labour back in 2005
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 05:50

I am guessing more cars have been smashed up and donor engines should now be cheaper.
I have yet to get a go in a 20vT mk2.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
adzG60
Admin
Admin
adzG60

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 09:21

bin in a s3 powered 280 bhp mk2, felt unreal, put the power down rli well
Back to top Go down
http://nomadsvw.co.uk
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 09:53

Look for BAM engines as they're the better to tuine apparently...

Paul has a BAM in his Red Stripped Rado... Very scarey apparently!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:09

Do vr6 conversions work out the same sort of price?Would love that conversion for the sound alone lol
What other conversions are usualy done?
Am i right in thinking a new conversion place is opening in flaunden??
Dave
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:13

I thought I AUM was also a good one to buy, hence I bought one....
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:13

VR6 engines are heavier...
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:17

Cheers for the wheels calimori well pleased.
Is the vr6 not a popular choice for mk2's because of the weight issue ?
Back to top Go down
Fitzy
Fitzy

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:22

yeah, it messes up ur handling, makes ur car too front heavy
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:37

Glad you were pleased with them, I am glad they went to a club member and will make your Golf look sweet.
As Mr Fitzy says, it messes up the sweet handling of the MK2. The 1.8 20VT is lighter and therefore makes less impact. However the plumbing and wiring is harder and you would need a black box to sort it out, would for the VR6 engine as well. 20VT engines were similar cost last time I looked.
Get a VR6 and supercharge it.... Twisted Evil
I am looking at rado's again....
Back to top Go down
adzG60
Admin
Admin
adzG60

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 10:58

Quote :

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 11:24

Calimori wrote:

Cool, hope you find an unmolested one
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 15:54

There are a few... this one might be too much right now.
click-me-you-know-you-want-to
Back to top Go down
D.A.M IT!
D.A.M IT!

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2008, 16:03

£11.000 affraid this is probably the most expencive but definetly one of the best condition rads i think I've ever seen I love you

gotta love this quote....

"If you plan to fit a wide arch body kit or hideous ICE install then please buy another Corrado as a base."
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2008, 07:29

And it's 4-stud, so either a 16v or more likely as it's B-Berry a run-out 8v base car...

Been up for ages and from memory has tiny brakes too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2008, 08:15

Yes it is very nice.... but its hard to see where £40,000 has been spent.... thats a big loss of £30,000...
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2008, 08:44

Good spots, I wouldn't have notice the wheel studs. Maybe if I offer £5k they will accept it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2008, 04:44

Had to jump on this one... vr6 in a mk2.

You can buy a VR6 + loom + subframe + ecu + everything from breakers for £500-600
You can do the conversion in a weekend if you're starting with a 90spec wired mk2 (i.e. hazard light switch on the steering column not on the dash) - hardest part is joining the vr6 loom to the existing wiring in the mk2. That just takes a bit of planning and a copy of the wiring diagrams (available on 'net) Throw in £500 for suspension and you're sorted. Engine mounts match, even the driveshafts can be reused.

It's a very reliable engine and in my opinion every bit as good as a 1.8t conversion despite its obvious power deficite. VR6s deliver their power so much better and 1.8ts just sound pants.

Now, this myth about vr6 mk2s not handling and the vr engine being heavy etc... etc.. BLAH.
Myth... not fact.

Sure, take out a 1.8 and shove in a vr6 and it'll understeer like a twat. Think about it a bit and buy a set of suspension designed for the extra weight and you have a very well handling car. Sure, it's never going to be quite like the 1.8 mk2 as the vr is significantly heavier but people saying mk2 vrs dont handle is just rediculous. People also seem to think the 1.8t is a light engine... not so. It too complete with all its piping, intercooler etc... weighs a fair bit and if you're using one of the 35 tonne 6 speed boxes you're pretty damn close to if not heavier than a vr6.

Some years ago an idiot friend of mine convinced me to build a mk2 vr6 track day car for the sole purpose of disspelling this myth... by god it was an awesome car. Built on a £2500 budget (including buying car) we had a 8v gti mk2 with brembo brakes, vr6 with 268 cams pushing 205hp and FK suspension and it bloody flew. Smack in the face for many "it wont do corners" people that had to eat their words. The now infamous Gary/GVK now seems to have taken the batton and is still showing people mk2 vr6s fly.

It's rediculous really... gets on my tits.

Don't discount the vr6 conversion on count of hearsay. Go for a ride in both and make up your own mind! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2008, 04:57

GVKs mk2 vr6 NOT handling round cadwell park Wink

Saw spot... heh.
Back to top Go down
L0WRiDE
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
L0WRiDE

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2008, 05:56

THANKS Rigs, some onestanding up for mk2 vr6! ( not that i have one!) like like the sound of ur "to prove" project, ACE.

i feel that alot of people disgarde this conversion, and hardly anyone has driven one! with correct suspension set up, as you say u could have a gd car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thrashed-racing.co.uk

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2008, 16:39

Rigs wrote:
Had to jump on this one... vr6 in a mk2.

You can buy a VR6 + loom + subframe + ecu + everything from breakers for £500-600
You can do the conversion in a weekend if you're starting with a 90spec wired mk2 (i.e. hazard light switch on the steering column not on the dash) - hardest part is joining the vr6 loom to the existing wiring in the mk2. That just takes a bit of planning and a copy of the wiring diagrams (available on 'net) Throw in £500 for suspension and you're sorted. Engine mounts match, even the driveshafts can be reused.

It's a very reliable engine and in my opinion every bit as good as a 1.8t conversion despite its obvious power deficite. VR6s deliver their power so much better and 1.8ts just sound pants.

Now, this myth about vr6 mk2s not handling and the vr engine being heavy etc... etc.. BLAH.
Myth... not fact.

Sure, take out a 1.8 and shove in a vr6 and it'll understeer like a twat. Think about it a bit and buy a set of suspension designed for the extra weight and you have a very well handling car. Sure, it's never going to be quite like the 1.8 mk2 as the vr is significantly heavier but people saying mk2 vrs dont handle is just rediculous. People also seem to think the 1.8t is a light engine... not so. It too complete with all its piping, intercooler etc... weighs a fair bit and if you're using one of the 35 tonne 6 speed boxes you're pretty damn close to if not heavier than a vr6.

Some years ago an idiot friend of mine convinced me to build a mk2 vr6 track day car for the sole purpose of disspelling this myth... by god it was an awesome car. Built on a £2500 budget (including buying car) we had a 8v gti mk2 with brembo brakes, vr6 with 268 cams pushing 205hp and FK suspension and it bloody flew. Smack in the face for many "it wont do corners" people that had to eat their words. The now infamous Gary/GVK now seems to have taken the batton and is still showing people mk2 vr6s fly.

It's rediculous really... gets on my tits.

Don't discount the vr6 conversion on count of hearsay. Go for a ride in both and make up your own mind! Smile

wicked write up dude! have to agree, theres no replacement for displacement! really cant wait to see yours though mate!
Back to top Go down
adzG60
Admin
Admin
adzG60

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2008, 05:26

for the engine your getting compared to the costs of a DIY jobbie, then a vr6 makes sense, plus u cnt beat the sound ogf a vr, wack a charger on and your laughing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

engine conversions Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine conversions   engine conversions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

engine conversions
Page 1 of 1