Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

coilover adjustment

Go down 
+2
Bazza
Dave_H
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

coilover adjustment Empty
PostSubject: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13 2008, 13:37

Hi again ppl more questions lol
I need to raise my coilovers ,doesnt seem the correct thing to do on a dub but its just to low there down all the way and I need it a little higher.
I dont have the correct spanner but could i do it with a pair of grips or stilson spanner?
Do I just jack car and wind bottom nut up to adjust spring ,refit wheel and repaet all around?Or is there anything else I need to do?
Cheers.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Bazza
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
Bazza

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13 2008, 18:47

Your theory seems sound dude, you might need to get the your camber/tracking rechecked though, depends how much you alter it by. Try asking around though, i'm sure someone on here will have a C spanner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14 2008, 09:41

yer seems right, but if that locking nut is really seized on the adjusting nut, and also the threads are rusty (depending on how long they been on there) duck oil the threads up and carefully wire brush them up, then on the locking nut, gently tap it (in the groove) using a hammer and punch, but dont go too mad with it as you may do damage.

if you do adjust them, before doing so, mark on the nut which you adjust with a mark so that you can count how many turns you've done with them. and then obviously adjust them the same all the way around, or more on the front, less on the back or whatever!

Or,

the easiest and safest, is to ask on here if anyones got the correct C spanners you could borrow!

hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14 2008, 15:20

cheers for the advice ppl.I think ive sourced some spanners thru a friend there motorbike ones but hes used them on cars before and he said he will give me a hand.So this means it will still be on the deck for me first meet lol as doing it next week now
cheers
dave
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14 2008, 16:05

In most cases the 4 wheel alignment will need to be checked if the height of coilys is altered, i recommend a good splash of WD40 on the theads the day before you do the work! good luck!
Back to top Go down
Dave_H
Nomad
Nomad
Dave_H

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25 2008, 04:36

Where would be the best place to jack the front with a trolley jack??Shud I avoid the dome jack locator in the floor and go for subframe or shud I use dome jack locator??
Only saying this as I know on my mini I avoid jacking on floor jacking point as some time they weaken over time.
Didnt know if it same with older golfs??
Cheers
Dave
Back to top Go down
vr6brew
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
vr6brew

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25 2008, 16:05

Normally you would jack the car up at seam-weld... as the standard jacks use this point.... be careful not too bend the seam... use a bit of wood between the jack and seam! Wink
Back to top Go down
Doug
Nomad
Nomad
Doug

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02 2009, 18:58

24 hours B4 either WD as the guys above said or a rust removal kinda thing

When you do it yeah C-Spanners are best and you can get them pretty much anywhere for a couple of ££ or if you find a mate that also has coilys they should have one i got two with my set.

What you must do:

1. Copper grease up all of the coilovers cause otherwise the seize up horribly

2. Ensure that the at the same height (kind obvious but i know people that havent bothered to get it exactly right)

4. Get the car 4-wheel alligned and tracked, i never bothered and ate a set of £50 a corner front tyes in 1.5 months Sad

Shouldnt be too dear and if you take the car to sts stapletons in st. albans and say Doug sent you here they'll sort you out a gooden'
Back to top Go down
http://Email: Tanilba@Hotmail.Co.Uk
MartinR
Nomad
Nomad
MartinR

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03 2009, 13:59

yeah as said grease them up, just to warn you all kinds of road grit sticks to the copper grease so when you lower it again give them a wipe before so

everywhere i went in hemel said my car was too low to do the alignment. wheres stapletons and howmuch do they charge
Back to top Go down
Doug
Nomad
Nomad
Doug

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04 2009, 05:23

Any garage can do it to be honest mate, the only requirements is you may need to take either the splitter or front bumper off. When i did mine i just took the front bumper off and it still only took about 2 hours to do.

Stapletons, Alma Road, St. Albans -- even if you went there you would probly still need to take the bumper off although mine goes straight on the ramps. depends if its low or decked Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Email: Tanilba@Hotmail.Co.Uk
D.A.M IT!
D.A.M IT!

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09 2009, 03:51

MartinR wrote:
yeah as said grease them up, just to warn you all kinds of road grit sticks to the copper grease so when you lower it again give them a wipe before so

everywhere i went in hemel said my car was too low to do the alignment. wheres stapletons and howmuch do they charge

to avoid getting grit stuck to them try using some coilover covers... I'm gonna order some myself in a few days ---> Demon tweaks - Coilover covers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coilover adjustment   coilover adjustment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

coilover adjustment
Page 1 of 1