Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Retrotub

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Empty
PostSubject: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22 2012, 18:34

Back in June I faced up to the fiscal realities of have two children and the only one in the family working and sold the 4th mx-5 ive owned and loved.

Time for something a lot cheaper and something I can work on myself rather than paying other people to do stuff - so maybe no supercharger for now!

In recent times I had found myself reading Retro cars magazine and not really being interested in modern stuff.
I have always liked the shape of a polo saloon for some reason - so that what I got and for £250 I have a lot of car restoring / learning to do.

Well its quite a few months since i posted in the newbie lounge and I have to say progress is very slow to date.

There was a lot more body work to get right then I first thought (why do I ever assume any job on a car is going to be a quick one!) and my inexperience coupled with the car being stored 165 miles away means I cant just pop out when I have a minute.

This was the car from the ebay add:

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Polo1-1
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Polo2
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Polo3

The car had previously been rattle canned black and the guy I got it from had rubbed it down somewhat as he was taking it baby blue inside and out - not something id have done.
Anyway as you could se most of the trim was not on the car but it wasnt in too bad a condition for what it was.
It also already had a H&R cup lowering kit fitted with a 60mm drop all round so probably was as low as id want to go and with one of the better handling kits for one of these cars with a decent ride by all accounts.

Once we got the car back to my relatives place we could see I had my work cut out.

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on DSC00987
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on DSC00988

So many visits up north were used to work on the body - getting it straight and ready for paint.
Im going back to the original colour. I sort of like it and while nothing else grabbed my attention I wantd the car to be clean and tidy with some slight cosmetic mods but nothing too much.

However, first was a lot of body work and rubbing down.
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on DSC00990
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on DSC01001

Apparently the original exhaust hangers wouldnt do for the previous owner - no, only some top end speaker cable would do.

I have spent all the in between time sourcing parts and a new engine (1.4 16v AFH) plus some nicer seats etc - ill update about those and bring the thread up to date .

Maybe ill make a meet before the end of the summer Wink.
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-29100959
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 00:27

Good work and great to see some "getting stuck in" photos. Keep posting them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 05:24

nice one.......... we love a hava go hero round there

polo loon = baby jetta =NICE

and going for a 1.4 16v its gonna be a screeemer

look forward to reading more
Back to top Go down
Retrotub

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 17:14

Oh cheers guys, really appreciate the positive comments.

Back to top Go down
Retrotub

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 17:26

In between the trips up north to Barnsley to work on the car I have been trying to get missing trim bits and also I bought these wheels.

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Th_polorevwheels

Revolution RFX 13 x 7

however, I dont want them white - so ive started to spray them - first black and then they are going gunmetal anthracite but with the polished rim and dish bit.

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-25192628

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-25192638

Gunmetal yet to be applied, but thats the way its going.

Now the metal was startign to get straight it was time to get some primer on the rubbed down car and then sand it all back off Wink

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-29101008

No thats not a hole full of primer - ive just skimmed the repair. I am a bit of an amateur at all this though.
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-29101033
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-29101017

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2011-09-29101056

I cant believe how many days ive spent wet sanding this car.
Back to top Go down
Retrotub

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 17:42

So the progress was to getting the first coat of colour on the car - and as its not smooth and without lacquer it seems to be a lot more gold than I thought it would be.

Im hoping it turns a bit lighter - a silver gold colour when its done.

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Jccar2

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Jccar

Now the original seats while in good condition for the age etc, were not where i wanted to take the car - mainly as no matter the position I had them in I couldnt sit in them in a position without bending my neck and having half my head pressed to the headliner.

Time for some Corrado half buckets !!!!

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2012-01-27104301-1
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2012-01-27104301-1

To be fiar they got a bit dusty when we put them in, they are actually pretty mint and were only £40 and very comfortable. - I know they are not leather or maybe not the most desirable seat around but I really love them and they transform sitting in the polo.

So to go with the seats I got hold of some rare loon black carpets and the very dark grey front and rear door cards which will all go with the seats very nicely. I still need to think about the rear bench seat colour.

Back to top Go down
Retrotub

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 17:52

So a little more colour later and I offered up some of the arch kit. I managed to get some sill covers which were missing - it wasnt easy.

Sill covers still not on and the arches only on to have a look.

Also I bought another set of wheels - these are 14's and really a far too modern wheels for the mk2. I got them as it was going to be a while before the others were ready or I had any tyres for them. These are practically unmarked and had new tyres all round that would fit my slightly lowered car. So these were to get the car a bit smarter and off those 4 different sized and make tyres, it was on on 2 different wheel types.

Ive had a lot of bad comments about these wheels which im surprised at - maybe they are just not VW scene?
I thought they were smart and while only temporary for this car were not terrible.

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2012-01-27104230
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2012-01-27104221version2
Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on 2012-01-27104240
Back to top Go down
Retrotub

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23 2012, 18:04

Sorry for so many updates - just getting to now and also im feeling very excited about hitting meets and shows this year.

This is the engine ive bought in its previous home.

Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on Afhengine

Ive also got some cbr600 carbs and a facet pump - so once all in should see 125bhp - modest i imagine for these forums but up from 55bhp when the current 1.3 was new. The car will also have about the same power to weight as a lotus elise Wink so ill be upping the bakes slightly when I can afford it.

My mate has a rolling road and is a excellent tuner, so we will eventually be going the megajolt route (or megasquirt if i can find a cheap one - future plans) so shoudl see good torque and instant throttle response while sounding rather nice.

As the weather has tuned, we switched to the mechanical bits instead of painting.

So we replace the rear beam with one from a polo mk3 GT so it has the rear ARB and also we serviced all the rear brakes.
Car is pretty solid underneath.

Then we did the front brakes and replaced the front suspension arms as they were worn.

Also finally got some proper exhaust hangers as the speaker wire was just too ghetto for me.

I say "we" as David my relative has been working on it with me. Mainly as a favour - but I also think he wants his garage back to keep his bay camper in.

Thanks for looking. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24 2012, 02:50

No appologies needed, thank you for sharing.
That is really taking shape, how long have you spend so far?
Back to top Go down
Retrotub

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24 2012, 06:12

cheers, been taking my time but id guess at probably 12 full days on the body - we are not just filling holes i guess.
We have had the dolly and hammer sets out and are working the metal back but there are a lot more dents than i first thought.

Probably overkill as its being painted in a garage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on   Mk2 polo  loon £250 project to learn on I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mk2 polo loon £250 project to learn on
Page 1 of 1