Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Worst possible day...

Go down 
+2
jimwah
Shelley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelley
Nomad
Nomad
Shelley

Worst possible day... Empty
PostSubject: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18 2011, 18:33

..to respray things. But HEY thats the way it goes.

*WARNING* This thread will be the most boring thing known to Nomad.

SO. The back bumper on Frankenstein has been irritating me for ages. Its peeling and makes the whole car look unloved.

Worst possible day... IMG_2113

So i thought I'd have a go at spraying it, with no prior experience i had nay idea. Luckily Dale was spraying his wheels today and I was going to pop to his anyway, so off I went. After a quick trip to Halfrauds to get primer, matt black and clear coat we decided to give his parents a break and not move his wheels into the house, and to do it at mine.

Plus it was proper raining, and the 2 bolts holding the left side of the bumper on were inaccessable due to the exhaust. We decided it would be best to back her ass into the garage (this was accompanied by lots of forwards and backwards and me screaming like a little girl while reversing up my horrible driveway) and mask it off. Could only get 1/3 of the car into the garge as i still have half of the black Mk2 in there Embarassed

Worst possible day... IMG_2147
Worst possible day... IMG_2149

Newspaper and masking, including some creative use of J cloths to mop up leaking from the rear lights...

Worst possible day... IMG_2117
Worst possible day... IMG_2119

We thought it best there be no distractions while we worked...

Worst possible day... IMG_2120

Added a fetching skirt effect...

Worst possible day... IMG_2122
Worst possible day... IMG_2123

Sanded the cracked bits down then a coat of 'Halfrauds Special' grey primer

Worst possible day... IMG_2124

It started to rain more...

Worst possible day... IMG_2129

Dale doing some sanding...

Worst possible day... IMG_2132

Second coat of primer goes on, by Dale with his snazzy spray attachment thing

Worst possible day... IMG_2134

For some unknown reason we decided it was going so well and the weather was so perfect for spraying that we would also do the boot strip thing which was also peeling...

Worst possible day... IMG_2142

Also decided to do it AT THE SAME TIME which in hindsight was a stupid thing to do

Worst possible day... IMG_2143

Our little bowl of water for the sanding paper (and you thought it couldnt get more interesting)

Worst possible day... IMG_2145

By this time the garage was getting perilously close to flooding, although this picture doesnt *quite* convey the danger...

Worst possible day... IMG_2148

After loaaaaaads of sanding the black started to go on

Worst possible day... IMG_2151
Worst possible day... IMG_2152
Worst possible day... IMG_2154

It was *so* wet. Every time we went inside for tea (and a little cry) to let the coats dry we told ourselves it was stopping but it just kept getting worse.

Worst possible day... IMG_2158

THEN the clear coat started to run. Which irritated me no end.

Worst possible day... IMG_2159

And it ended up looking like this

Worst possible day... IMG_2161
Worst possible day... IMG_2162

A lot later on when it had dried as much as it was going to and i carefully took the paper off i noticed that we had not masked quite as well as we thought we had (despite the whole car looking like it had been stickerized with comic books as is the new craze)...

Worst possible day... IMG_2170

And thus i got very angry and moved my car back out into the rain as punishment. Evil or Very Mad

Only when it was out on the road did i remember the 2 bolts we had removed before realising the bumper would not come off were still in my pocket. So i rounded off a very pleasant day with my head in a puddle under the car putting them back in.

I shall start again another day. When the weather is not quite so english, and i am not quite so stupid.

Rain - 1
Shelley - 0

Good game, good game.
Back to top Go down
jimwah
Nomad
Nomad
jimwah

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 02:12

Nightmare. Sun's out though now, maybe get another shot at it this weekend?

If it's any consolation I had similar nightmares with my mk2, I decided I might have a bash at sorting a bit of laquer peel on the drivers door... it was only small to start with, but as things got worse I ended up sanding & spraying about half the bloody door. Looked a lot worse when I finally finished (gave up) about 3 hours later Very Happy

Back to top Go down
hoppinmad
Nomad
Nomad
hoppinmad

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 03:00

dont stress about it we have all done jobs for the first time and fecked them up thats how you learn to do it for yourself. you should see the state of some of the things i have sprayed in the past and ended doing the job two or three times. dont try to put the laquer on in one or two coats, lots of fine coats should stop your sag. you will get your head round it. when things look like they are going wrong or iam getting a bit stressed i think about how much money iam saving doing/learning to do the job myself
Back to top Go down
Dashworth
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
Dashworth

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 06:20

shelley, DW about it. Its all going to be fine in the end.

there is always another day for this sort of stuff, I'm sure dale fancies another go at it too.

a clay bar with remove the over spray. If you ring me i'll come round and sort it out this weekend if you like. I will be detailing blackalicious all saturday so your more than welcome to pop round for tea, chat and maybe attempt number 2 if dale is free?

Let me know if your popping over babes Worst possible day... 161462
Back to top Go down
Shelley
Nomad
Nomad
Shelley

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 07:38

I <3 you. I'll be over at some point. Will text.
Back to top Go down
Bookish
Nomad
Nomad
Bookish

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19 2011, 10:53

Doesn't look that bad to be honest, good attempt Smile just needs tidying up a bit. Makes it worse that it's so nice today
Back to top Go down
Tarmac Terrorist

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 12:25

A little trick I found was to jack the car up then take the bumper off that way.

I personally wouldn't use a clear coat as it's textured (just my personal opinion).

Now I've met you & don't feel intimidated I'll help you when I can.

I miss my 8v now, just buy the parts & I'll teach you how to fix your machine!
Back to top Go down
Shelley
Nomad
Nomad
Shelley

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20 2011, 15:52

We didnt bother with clear coat on the second attempt.

Dont say things like that because i will hold you to it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tarmac Terrorist

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21 2011, 07:31

It's cool, I'll just end up with another mk2 off the roads for another year lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst possible day...   Worst possible day... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst possible day...
Page 1 of 1