Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A day in the life of a mk3 owner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jimwah
Nomad
Nomad
jimwah

A day in the life of a mk3 owner Empty
PostSubject: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23 2011, 12:13

Got up early to get over to Banbury & get my exhaust sorted - I had the giant swept tailpipe chopped, and a slash-cut stuck on - amazingly it's now even louder in the low revs, which I didn't think was possible - it seriously feels like I might need ear defenders between 2 & 3k rpm now Suspect . Anyway I get over there for opening at 9am and am finally all sorted by 1ish.

But the engineer now can't get it into reverse, so it has to be pushed out of the garage... I head off & quickly realise I've not only lost reverse, but 1st, 2nd, and 5th. So a 50 mile trip today with just 3rd & 4th. I'm glad I've got a bit of torque 'cos pulling away at a roundabout in 3rd isn't fun.

My gearbox has felt like crap since I got the car, just really loose & baggy, despite having only done 60k apparently - so it's not a total suprise that's something's let go in there - anyone got a clue what it might be, or how expensive? I've parked her up outside a garage I use, so it will hopefully get some attention this week Rolling Eyes

Mk3's always let me down, I don't know why I do it to myself, but I still love them Very Happy Getting this one into 'reliable daily' status is proving difficult.

Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24 2011, 13:53

sounds like you need a new linkage kit including ball
all these parts get cooked by the down pipe or somethings seriusly loose in the linkage ??

i am assuming its rod change if its cable i know not

good luck
Back to top Go down
jimwah
Nomad
Nomad
jimwah

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 03:08

Yeah I think the box is ok, no rattles or grinding, so hopefully something [relatively] cheap like you say Dan - this is eating into my money for some 17's Sad
Back to top Go down
hoppinmad
Nomad
Nomad
hoppinmad

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 07:28

i liked your periscope exhaust
Back to top Go down
jimwah
Nomad
Nomad
jimwah

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 07:45

Haha yeh I might miss it a bit too to be honest - although without sounding like a complete wuss, I couldn't help feeling that the pipe was a bit of a magnet for trouble - either getting pulled by the local plod or kids dropping stuff into it Very Happy Now that's gone, and I've got a legal number plate, I'll be a lot happier driving it around day to day... although the noise still attracts some attention.

Gear change problem looks fairly trivial, there's a little metal linkage snapped at the end of a cable connected to the box, so hopefully a cheap one & my 17' alloy funds stay intact Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hoppinmad
Nomad
Nomad
hoppinmad

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 10:11

i bet the local chavs had eyed it up to use as a bong as well.
result with the box.
Back to top Go down
minty "TIMMY"
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
minty

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25 2011, 15:19

mate your exhaust was the nuts Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chenn
Nomad
Nomad
chenn

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12 2012, 12:38

Don't suppose you live up by akeman street do you? Was always parking near a mk3 looked amazing but been looking relatively standard recently? I work at Tradesigns and have the white polo, appologies if not Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimwah
Nomad
Nomad
jimwah

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12 2012, 14:08

Hello mate, yeah that was me Smile sold up and I'm off the scene for a bit to save some money and get a few debts cleared until my next vr6 (supercharged next time I hope)

I See the polo around Tring quite a bit, I always spot a low dub. I'm in a black Clio 197 for now.

Take it easy
Back to top Go down
chenn
Nomad
Nomad
chenn

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12 2012, 15:29

Ah I see sounds good mate yeah really liked that mk3 saw it scraping through the high street a few times, that sounds pretty epic look forward to it! Flash next time and I'll keep an out bud.

It's going lower soon aswell Smile

And you pal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A day in the life of a mk3 owner   A day in the life of a mk3 owner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A day in the life of a mk3 owner
Page 1 of 1