Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The crazy UK!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
minty "TIMMY"
Event Organiser
Event Organiser
minty

The crazy UK!! Empty
PostSubject: The crazy UK!!   The crazy UK!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05 2011, 16:19

Driver with 39 points on licence not banned
A Freedom of Information request to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) revealed that, as of 24 March 2011, 638 drivers have 12 or more penalty points on their licence, yet they are still on the road.

According to the BBC, the worst offender is a driver registered in Swindon, who has amassed an incredible 39 points, yet has not been banned from driving. No information regarding the type of offences committed was available.

Elliot Griffiths, from the Magistrates' Association, said: "I accept that something appears to be wrong with [the figures in the Swindon case] and they need to be looked at.

"I can't even conceive how somebody can have 20, 30, 40 points and not be disqualified.

"I can't work it out. I'd be very interested to see how it happened."

Unless a motorist can prove that it would cause exceptional hardship for them, a total of 12 penalty points means a temporary ban from driving. The decision is made by a court.

However, if a driver escapes a ban due to these exceptional circumstances, and they then accrue more penalty points within three years, they are not entitled to appeal using the same reasons.

The data obtained by BBC West showed a total of 638 drivers in Bristol, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire with more than 12 points on their licences.

CRAZY!
Back to top Go down
Calimori
Admin
Admin
Calimori

The crazy UK!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The crazy UK!!   The crazy UK!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05 2011, 23:55

One thing to think of when you consider these people with over 12 points. There insurance would be very likely cost more than their cars. A mate successfully proved losing his licence would put at risk a few families so they let him keep his licences with 13 points. His insurance was something insane.

I agree with the comment that there seems no sensible explanation for 20+ points or even 15+.
Back to top Go down

The crazy UK!!
Page 1 of 1