Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mk2 Headlight Upgrade

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PremiumVeeDub
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
PremiumVeeDub

Mk2 Headlight Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2010, 05:35

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=149135.0

I've bought one of these relay upgrades for the headlights, seems like the guy who made them originally found 6 in a box or something - however I think they're all gone.

If anyone with a MK1 or MK2 really wants to do this upgrade (and I can tell you how good it is once mine's fitted) then I'm happy to make some more; I have been known to wield a soldering iron in anger before (ex engineer).

As I understand it, instead of routing the power for the lights halfway round the car and back (which gives you voltage drop and limits the ampage you can draw) a relay dumps raw battery-terminal power into the headlights, activated by the original headlight feed (AFAIK).

Lemme know

(Edit - there's 3 left as of 11:45 - link above, £25)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2010, 12:39

and hes selling them on edition 38 Mk2 Headlight Upgrade 463221
Back to top Go down
vwdeviant
Nomad Junkie
Nomad Junkie
vwdeviant

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2010, 13:08

If these work the same as the one I have on the Rado, they are an awesome addition...

Ben, are they a 3 relay version (one for each headlight and one for spots?) as it's better to have them with some "redundancy" built in... Also you can still get OEM plugs too which means no fiddling about with Crimps, blades and spades, just plug and play!
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-corrado.net
YA55ER
Nomad
Nomad
YA55ER

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25 2010, 13:34

once i get the mk2 home and on the road i shall give you a shout about this mate Smile
Back to top Go down
L55KE B
Nomad
Nomad
L55KE B

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26 2010, 11:25

I will need 1 of these for my rado when its finally on the road! They dont look to bad to make either so ill prob be interested in 1 if you feel like making it?
Back to top Go down
Rigs
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11 2010, 14:55

£25!?

Good money to be made there.

Total cost of components probably not more than £2... !

Standard mk2 headlights read about 8.5v at the bulb simply due to the amount of wire between the battery and the light Smile
Use the existing wires to turn on a relay direct from the battery and you have your 12v and noticably more brightness.
It makes you wonder why VW didn't do it this way in the first place!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mk2 Headlight Upgrade   Mk2 Headlight Upgrade I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mk2 Headlight Upgrade
Page 1 of 1