Nomads VW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nomads VW

The Hertfordshire based VAG owners car club

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Steering boot? Rack?..............

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

Steering boot? Rack?.............. Empty
PostSubject: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03 2008, 05:46

hey all,

Been noticing lately my steering going funny.....It seems to turn really easily left, but to the right is heavy then it suddenly goes loose past a certain point....

I'm not sure if it is linked to the steering wheel, as when i turn there is almost a notching noise, or a slight clunk when turning. Not on full lock, just about a 1/4 turn.

Any ideas on what to buy to solve the problem?

Also i have a bit of a high pitched squeak coming from the wheels when driving...would this be wheel bearings??

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2008, 05:59

wheel bearings are more of a wwuuurrrrrrr increasing in pitch as you accelerate

as far as the steerings concerned you need to check track rod ends inner and outer

if the boots are ripped you muist replace them

the car will not pass an MOT with severly worn steering ITS SERIOUS

i would get this sorted ASAFP!!!

you didnt say if its PAS or not you may need to change you fluid or have a leak

Isay again GET IT LOOKED AT
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2008, 06:16

ah cheers. it's not the wheel bearing then.

The boots have been checked and in fine condition.
track rod ends have been done about a 1yr ago...? would they need replacing again?

the car has just passed it's MOT a month ago and there were no problems with it....?

yeah the car has PAS. how do i change the fluid?

I have also just jacked the car up and turn the wheels about 3/4 of lock and wobbled the wheel left to right. there seems to be a clunking coming from the driveshaft....

garage say it might be a stuck driveshaft bearing?? any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
dapperdan
Nomad Crew
Nomad Crew
dapperdan

PostSubject: Re: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2008, 06:43

there are "inner " trackrod end joints the end of which screws to the steering rack these cause play in steering and a clonk or slap type of noise and give stange steering

is everything tight? track rod ends can be a pig to do up impact wrench is best

you could change cv's but which one?its hard to tell untill they are really bangin away

has the car been tracked and cambered? also plays havoc with steering
Back to top Go down
G4Z
Nomad
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2008, 10:33

cheers for the advice mate, it's really helpful.

As far as i am aware everything is tight. Most things were checked. May be worth having the inner trackrod end's done though anyway...?

Yeah all the tracking and camber was reset after lowering so that should not be a problem.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
^neo^

PostSubject: Re: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08 2008, 08:52

If it has just gone through an MOT, all the above suggestions SHOULD have been picked up on. My money would be on a knackered rack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering boot? Rack?..............   Steering boot? Rack?.............. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering boot? Rack?..............
Page 1 of 1